+HELP+macklots python question. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
zazurep
Question +HELP+macklots python question.

i have a yearling macklots python. he is a monster..which i had expected him to be, but he is really getting out of hand. i know the snakes are notoriouse for being agressive as babies but i have never heard of one being this bad. did i just get a bad tempered snake or are they all like this.
does any one have any tips on how to bring down his agressive cage response or am i just going to have to deal with being bit constantly.

any advice you can give me will help.

thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
dragonhoit
usually with them you'll have to bite the bullet and go in and bring them out and they should tame out, you can get some gloves if you're worried about getting bit and if he does bite don't put him back because he'll see it's an easy way out, you can also try hook training and either tap him a couple times with it or pull him out with the hook so he doesn't mistake you for food, hope this helps

Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
zazurep
thanks took your advice and he is a tiny bit better.. i guess i will just have to macho up, i was told they will grow out of this stage and i sure hope so...i don tneed a 6ft plus monster to deal with.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
FickEdge
I have two adults and both are very well tempered. The female is slightly cage aggressive, but the male is one of the most docile snakes I have ever owned.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
RachelSS
Well snakes aren't actually tame. If you are holding this snake frequently (15+ minutes a day, every day) it's overkill. The snake is stressed out and you forcing handling on it is just making it worse.

Some snakes are just NOT meant to be handled. They don't enjoy handling at all. It's our guilty pleasure, and ours alone. Leave the snake be and try to limit handling to once or twice a week for maybe 5-10 minutes, and only handle the snake if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

I NEVER handle my snake and most of them have no issues with me using a hook and taking them out. I hardly get bit, either.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
zazurep
i see what you are saying. and i dont handle every day. but what is the point of having a beautiful docile pet if you are never going to actually do anything with it. i am not trying to be critical or anything because i do understand that it can have great stress on the animals, but all my ball pytons and my kingsnake come to my hand and physically get into it and curl up like they want to be loved on. but i have had them all from the moment they had their first meal on. i just feel like i shouldnt have them if i am not going to give them the same love and attention i would give to my dogs.

again sorry if i offended anyone, personal opinion take it or leave it.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
RachelSS
I understand what you're saying. Just look at it this say - snakes don't understand what love is. Their brains don't function the way ours do, so sitting in their bin all day not being touched is great for them. Handling does cause stress, but the stress isn't astronomical, going to kill your snake kind. Just a mild irritant I guess?

As long as they have food in their belly, fresh water, a warm place to sleep, you're doing right by them. That's all they need.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
zazurep
point taken.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!