Wood or Plastic Cages? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcreptiles
I have Boaphile cages with Flexwatt sealed between plastic inside the cages and it sure doesn't look like it has an air gap. I also have under-cage Flexwatt heating type cages sitting on top of each other without an air gap. I haven't had problems with either one, yet.
I'm not saying sandwiching it will not work, but I did want to point out that in that case Jeff uses a different type of flexwatt than what is available to us from the usual suppliers. It's a low wattage type. A panel of his 21"x22" draws 17 watts, whereas 2 feet of 11" wide regular flex pulls 40 watts.
He does use the 11" in his racks, and says this about it on his website:

Quote:
Our racks are built using the 11" - 20 Watt per lineal foot material. Because of this higher wattage a ½" air gap is allowed for this Flexwatt allowing the heat to disperse properly as is recommended.
This was one of the main reasons I always considered it borderline dangerous to seal up the 11" wide variety. Further conversations have caused me to rethink that position, but I still want to do a test on it first.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
KrisGarner
This is the thread I remember about the ceramic tile.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...t=ceramic+tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
It actually looks like it will work quite well. I installed 4 ceramic tiles 2 on top of 2, with the flexwatt sandwiched in between. I caulked the bottom tiles down, put the flexwatt in and caulked the edges of the second tiles. Then I caulked all the way around the tiles and let it dry. The first day it took about an hour to heat up the thermal mass, now it stays at a perfect 92 degrees.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!