What do you think? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
DAND
Question What do you think?

What is your take on show promoters allowing the public to bring animals to shows to sell while you have paid for a table?

Old 04-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
reptilebreeder
I would be livid. Does that happen? The shows I've been to, forbid it. There is no way I would go to a show where you pay for a table, and then they would allow people to bring in their animals. I know it happens in the parking lots, but not sure what they could do about that.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
homegrownherps
My 2 cents

As vendors we pay too much for tables to begin with…
I think the only animals that should be at the shows are animals brought in by vendors with tables. I also don’t like when they walk around the show “wearing” or holding their new snakes. To start of with they are stressed out as it is from the trip to the show.
They should be left in the deli cup/sack until they get home.

I had a customer taking her time choosing from several geckos I had for sale when some one walked over with their snake around their neck, well I lost the sale because the woman scared of the snake, I think it was that she was startled more than just being afraid of snakes.

With that said, what do you think of people that do not have the proper state licenses that “share” tables with friends?

Old 04-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
Does that happen? The shows I've been to, forbid it.
Its not allowed at any of the shows I do but it still happens, and often too.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
OBES
The shows that we have vended also forbid it. I had heard that at one show they found out that there was someone in the parking lot telling potential customers that they could go over the the little flea market that was set up somewhere close to the venue and buy reptiles and not have to pay admission. I also heard that they put a stop to that.

I also have lost sales because someone had their "new purchase" draped around their neck. I am with you that they are stressed enough and should be left in the container/bag they they were in until they get home.

Now what about the customers that take their purchases and leave them in the car while they run other errands on the way home and then either call you or come back the next day with an animal that has obviously been "cooked" because of the heat in the car or they tell you that they thought that they were cold and so they put them on the dashboard in the sun to warm up and now they want their money back because it died.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
homegrownherps
It seems like just about all of the promoters have "rules" set in place. But very rarely do you see them being enforced.
Why is it that we pay high prices for tables ???
when customers bring their animals to the show, it does not hurt the promoters unless the vendors threaten do no longer do any more shows of that particular promoter.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
DAND
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
I would be livid. Does that happen?
Yes it does. I've seen it where someone is walking around like the vendor at the ball game (popcorn, peanuts) with a box of animals. It really gets me angry when see the same cheap SOB every month walking around soliciting business from people at paying vendor's tables.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
It seems like just about all of the promoters have "rules" set in place. But very rarely do you see them being enforced.
Why is it that we pay high prices for tables ???
when customers bring their animals to the show, it does not hurt the promoters unless the vendors threaten do no longer do any more shows of that particular promoter.
the one's I go to have checked. They have people at the door, I've even seen them checking bags and such. On the way out if you have a reptile you have to show the receipt for it. If they are smuggled in or out, say in someone's pants or something that, probably not much they can do, but I've never seen a place "actively" or would that be inactively? LOL, not enforce the rules. Granted I don't sit at the door for the whole time they are open, but as I enter and leave they are always there doing the "searches" on everybody entering and exiting, at the time.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Yes it does. I've seen it where someone is walking around like the vendor at the ball game (popcorn, peanuts) with a box of animals. It really gets me angry when see the same cheap SOB every month walking around soliciting business from people at paying vendor's tables.
In that case the first time I saw that person, I would have went to the promotor, and said unless that guy pays for a table, this is my last time here. I would have also gone around and tried to get others to join in.
Does that show not even have that rule, or do they just not enforce it? Is it possible the guy has a [paid]table somewhere, and someone keeps an eye on it, while he roams the floor? If that was the case, I suppose I would just consider that a good marketing venture.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
homegrownherps
Yes the one show in particular has people at the door making sure no one brings animals in. Some of the shows I have even have as you said…checking as they and as they go out.
Which is great for preventing any theft.

I have never sought out the promoter because I was just to busy to walk around a look for them. But have mentioned it to them in passing, but by then I have no idea where that person is. Getting other people to join in isn’t as easy as it sounds.

If they were vendors walking around with their animals they are supposed to have vendor badges. And if they are vendors they should have better sense to come to a table when sales are taking place. I am sure they wouldn't’t like it if I walked over to their table with an agitated bull snake around my neck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!