Going to Florida.. what do you recommend??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
Going to Florida.. what do you recommend???

I am planning a 6 day visit to Florida in mid March..

Any recommendations as to good places to visit? to see?? to eat at ???

Touristy places are easy to find.. but I would like to find some actually good places..

Would love to look out and see dolphins, would love to see some wild damn SOMETHINGS.. I was there once for a week.. I saw some anoles. that was it.. LOL

Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
JordanAng420
What part of Florida will you be in?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Miss Tuniwha
OH.. I think I am starting in Orlando, then driving towards Tampa over the week

Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Talking Lucky you!

I'm not real familiar, but when I think of Florida, I think of MANATEES! (I get dolphins here already) There's a manatee viewing area near Tampa I believe. http://www.tampaelectric.com/manatee/about/ and I'm sure there's plenty more elsewhere in Florida.

Also there's this Big Cat Rescue in Tampa that's open for public tours. I always watch their videos on Youtube and it looks pretty neat. They're supposed to have over a hundred exotic cats, so that counts as wild.
There's a zoo in Tampa too I think, they've got manatees also http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/ Finally there's Busch Gardens in Tampa which I hear is supposed to be fun. They've got animals and rides there. Might be a bit too touristy though...

In Orlando they have Discovery Cove where you can swim with dolphins, I hear that a ticket there will also get you into Orlando SeaWorld (Manatees and Dolphins ) and Busch Gardens. They also have Gatorland http://www.gatorland.com/

I'm sure there's more, but I've never been, so I only know of the more famous ones. Personally I'm such a tourist that I'd go straight to Disney World! I've always wanted to!

Hope you have a blast!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
lauraleellbp
Busch Gardens is probably my favorite theme park ever... but then, how can you go really wrong with lots of awesome rollercoasters AND animals in the same place? I'm biased though- I grew up in Tampa and worked there during college LOL I haven't been to Lowry Park Zoo since I was a little kid, but it's supposed to be a good one. The Tampa Aquarium is another good option. You can definitely see manatee at either of the zoos. IDK about the power plant since it's been unseasonably warm so far this year? The manatee usually congregate around the power plants when the weather is cool, they warm up in the warm water coming out from cooling the generators.

John's Pass in Medeira Beach (over across the Bay on the Gulf coast) is usually a good place to see dolphins off the pier, enjoy good seafood (Johnny Leverocks) and watch the sunset.

I'd recommend Cuban food in Tampa if you want some good local flavor. Taco Bus is a little hole-in-the-wall mom and pop place on Hillsborough just east of I-275 and a pretty famous local hangout with great cheap food. It's not in a nice neighborhood and is pretty rough around the edges, but the food is great and I usually try and eat there whenever I'm home for a visit.

On the more upscale side, I also really like Roys, near the airport, though that's a chain. Mitchell's Fish Market near the WestShore Mall may have the best seafood in town (one of my favorites, anyways)- though it's also a bit more expensive than Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, or Shells would be LOL Spaghetti Warehouse in Ybor City is another local tradition and the ambiance of the old cigar factory is pretty cool, though IMO the food is only average.

If you want to really splurge but have some magnificent food- make a reservation for Burns Steakhouse and also for their dessert room (which requires a separate reservation). You'll especially love that if you're a wine lover- they have one of the biggest collections in the world (I forget how many bottles, it was a mind-boggling number lol). You can also make a reservation for a tour of their wine room and kitchen.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Miss Tuniwha
ok.. slight change of plans.. now we are staying only in the Orlando area.. we will only be hitting Tampa long enough to see Busch Gardens and some beach place..

so.. Anyone know of any where to do karaoke :P

Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
hhmoore
I've heard there are a few fun places in MN for karaoke....

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
WebSlave
Learn about the fire ants.

First thing you need to learn that if you are walking on bare ground, when you stop, look down to see what your feet are on top of. If ants are boiling out of the ground around your feet, MOVE! and be quick about it. They may be small, but they pack quite a wallop for their size. The sting is pretty much the same as you would get by poking yourself with a red hot needle. Blister and all.

BTW, I don't think you'll find green anoles in Orlando any longer. They've pretty much been ousted by the Cuban browns that have taken over much of Florida and pushed the greens out.

To see dolphins, of course, you will have to head out to the coast. Personally I greatly prefer the Gulf side of Florida to the Atlantic side. If you can swing over to Homosassa Springs, you'll quite likely see manatees out there. Also some pretty good restaurants in the area if you like seafood.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
FLAherper
VERY VERY PRICY
But a delicous place nonetheles, Burns Steakhouse in Tampa. Its weird looking from the outside but is the best tasting steak, wine and desert.
I live in Jax(North Fl) and anytime we go down there we eat there.
You have to get reservations seperatly for their upstairs desert area.
ALso make sure you agree to the tour.
For staying in orlando I highly reccomend the Jw Marriot, I dont know what your budget is but its great hotel in the middle of the road with a lazy river and nice golf courses GREAT HOTEL
For herps you need to go to keywest or miami everglades....
Please Look up the yellow dog In orlando, its a drive but a super relaxed awesome beast mode friendly cozy touristy fun place for some damn good bbq, they also have stuff for the veggies fyi, AWESOME place to eat lunch

And finally the sleuth dinner theater in orlando. Under the radar but will mae you laugh your drink out yer nose.
Hope I helped!
Also Can Someone Help me access hell?
My missclancoueasas or however you spell that doesnt have the groups thing so I cant join

Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAherper View Post
Also Can Someone Help me access hell?
My missclancoueasas or however you spell that doesnt have the groups thing so I cant join
*PM'd*