How important is a phone number? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

View Poll Results: How important is a phone number?
Very! Won't do business without one. 20 37.74%
It is a nice option but not necessary. 24 45.28%
Never use them and don't care. 9 16.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
Curious -those who "hate" phone conversations, what are your ages?
49---But I've avoided business conversations via phone since email came about. Not sure when that was, but I was considerably younger, and phone calls were the way people communicated. Always hated them. Now, talking face to face to a potential customer at a show would be my first choice.

Noelle

Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Herps Alive!
These days many cell plans allow yo to add a line for $10 a month. There are "shared" minutes so you have to watch for that, but to be able to answer that phone "XYZ Reptiles, may help you?" instead of "Hello, who's this?" adds crediblity and professionalism in my opinion.
By the way, I have a flip phone and it takes me way too long to text. So if you want a long answer on a problem, my text will probably just say "call me." :-)

Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
RidesNherps
I wouldn't say that I "hate" phone calls, but my preferred method of communication is definitely email. I type fast, I can orgainize my thoughts, and I can pause and make sure I have everything included that I want to ask (or include in a response). I don't like texts. I hate texting...I make too many typos on those stupid little phone keys, and there's just something about getting that notification of an incoming text that makes is seem urgent, like I need to respond right then. My responses to texts will be short, lacking capitalization, and often using incomplete sentences, as I try to get it over with as soon as possible. As for age, I'm 50-something. If you want immediate back-and-forth communication, a phone call is the way to go with me. But I really prefer email.

Dawn Carrie, Texas

Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
KCGSD82
I can respect those who think that not putting a phone number in an ad can be "shady". However, in my honest opinion, there way too many people with too much time on their hands. I'd like to avoid text messages and phone calls at all hours of the night from inconsiderate people. And no, I can't turn my phone off. We no longer have a land line and I have elderly relatives that may need me
SO, there's my 2 cents =P

Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
Dbz4246
I'm 23, and I really dont care which method I use, if the other party feels more comfortable calling, then I am ok with that. I do however mainly use email and texts since I can do both from work. I even do Facebook Messenger if the buyer/seller prefers that.
So to sum it up, any form of communication is fine with me
Except for twitter.... I refuse to do the twitter....

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGSD82 View Post
I'd like to avoid text messages and phone calls at all hours of the night from inconsiderate people.
I'm a firm believer in civilized calling hours; and I won't call before or after those hours unless I am specifically requested to do so (and I'm usually uncomfortable with it, even then). Of course, my schedule leaves me unavailable for calls through much of the typical business day - which is part of my aversion to phones. It's only been the last 3.5 years that I haven't checked messages at least semi-regularly...and that's mostly because I don't use the room that hides the answering machine.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
misthold
I personally would NOT do business with someone without a phone number.. about the only way in this day and age to really know for sure, documented of a physical address or heck info on a billing address if stuff goes bad.. of course pre paied phones screw this up

Phone calls are just that, to talk in person, know there is a physical person.. as it is not "recorded" Don't do anything or agree to anything not in writing..

I dont know If I would be ok with a seller who feels talking is a waste.. umm.. not a appliance here.. but a living animal.. not saying it is true, but if the seller does not want to spend a little time on some on the phone conversations... not sure about it in general..

Texting.. well some of us DONT spend a fortune on our phones.. pay for each text.. yeh seems odd, but shoot me my cell phone (my primary phone) cost is only about $19 a month.. sorry dont buy into the upgrade pay more crap.. same with some of the other options like web etc etc.. so.. expect me to pay to just contact you to ask "IF" you have what I am looking for?? yeh no.. I pass.. dont like it deal with it.. but if text is the only way NO for me..

Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
TriangleReptiles
I require a phone number of buyers and sellers. For one, it is needed by FedEx when shipping. I do prefer to do business details by email for record keeping, but if there is a question, a phone call sometimes works better to hammer out details. That is then followed up with an email to confirm details and as a record. Texting works equally well, but even then, I try to confirm everything by email, because I find it easier to store emails for my records.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
shadowsnakes
While I prefer email as a means of communication, I will not do business with anyone who doesn't provide a phone number. Call it personal preference or paranoia but if something goes wrong with the transaction I want to have the ability to pick up a phone and speak to them directly without hovering over a refreshing inbox. For that same reason I provide my phone with the understanding it is for unusual circumstances only and so far have had no problems with unreasonable calls.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
bcr229
Pay as you go phones are cheap and easily obtained if you don't want to give your home phone number to customers. Personally I've been fine with just using texts and emails to communicate, though with the number of minors getting into buying and selling - and the inability to enforce a contract with a minor - at least one phone call between the two parties might be useful to help determine if you're buying from/selling to an adult or a kid.

Also, anyone worried about getting into a he said/she said because phone calls aren't tracked can follow up with an email stating "Based on our phone call of MM/DD/YY here is my understanding of where we stand..."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!