What do I have here? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
fatboy55
What do I have here?

Hello Everyone,

I'm here in south Florida. We have plenty of green iguanas but today this guy showed up. Does anybody know what it is?

FS

Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Looks like a green iguana...lol.

If I'm right though, it looks female, and possibly gravid. Perhaps it's taken a darker tone to absorb heat from the sunlight better.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
DAND
I agree, it looks like a Iggy to me.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
wyldwurm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Looks like a green iguana...lol.

If I'm right though, it looks female, and possibly gravid. Perhaps it's taken a darker tone to absorb heat from the sunlight better.
I agree, looks like a gravid green.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
fatboy55
It looks totally different from the iguanas. Here's shot of one of the usual ones. On the new guy he has scales on his arms. The iguana does not. The size to length ratio is very different. The fins on the back are different. This is not the same lizard. Theres not even the big patch on the cheek like on the usual iguanas.

FS

Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Mokele
It's the same species. Both have 'scales on their arms', it's just that you can't see them easily given the usual pattern and color. As others have pointed out, the one in the water is gravid, hence the large girth. The slight oddity of the dorsal scales on the one in the water is just normal damage you see in plenty of wild lizards. Finally, you can actually see the enlarged scale on the jowls of the one in the water if you look closely at the picture you posted.

It's *definitely* a green iguana.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
fatboy55
Hey Mokele,

Thanks for the answer.

For the first guy that could only laugh at my question.......I don't know anything about these animals, ok. Not everyone has the same hobbies as you. That's why I came here. Was there really a need to laugh at me?

Forums are for the exchange of information.

Don't come to any of the forums I visit with less education on the subject than I do if I'm not allowed on yours without being ridiculed.

And don't bother flaming me. I won't be back.

FS

Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy55 View Post

For the first guy that could only laugh at my question.......I don't know anything about these animals, ok. Not everyone has the same hobbies as you. That's why I came here. Was there really a need to laugh at me?

Forums are for the exchange of information.
No, there was no need to laught at you. thanks for bringing your question and pics here.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
TheFragginDragon
I beg your pardon, 'Fatboy'....but I didn't 'just laugh' at your post, I offered and answer to your question. There was no malice in my response. Just because there was a single 'lol' in my answer doesn't mean I was making fun of you. I wasn't rediculing you in ANY way. Just good natured kidding.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Uroboros
Why is it in a pool of water with cigarette butts in it? While they may soak periodically, it is not an aquatic lizard.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!