**Enigma Neurological Problems** not to be bred? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
MicroZooKits
Question **Enigma Neurological Problems** not to be bred?

A lot of you already know about the Engima "neurological defect" and what it looks like....

For those who don't....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tremper
The ENIGMAS also can display a physical defect in the form of shaking, spinning and/or head arching. The exact reason for this behavior is still largely unknown, but it is seen to a lesser degree in young whereby only one parent is an ENIGMA. ENIGMAS bred to each other may amplify this problem. Some ENIGMAS do not display any problems whatsoever while others reveal abnormal movements only when they are disturbed.

It is possible that this problem can be bred out of this unique morph over time, but as seen in Spider ball pythons, it may be something that will always be present and not an overall health risk.

I had just hatched my first baby leos from an Enigma mom x SHTCTB dad and from the video you can see one of the babies clearly has the "enigma defect". Now the mother Enigma has the same defect, but to a lesser degree. I found out about it when I did research concerning why she turned her head and did a 180 every time I lifted her humid hide. In her case though, the defect is only noticeable when she is startled or feels uncomfortable. Other then that she acts just like a regular gecko. When I first got her home last year I thought it was related to her maybe being in a deli cup for so long at the show that she was just trying to turn herself around. I figured once she realized she didn't have to do that anymore because she was free it'd stop. That's when I found out about the "enigma defect".

But what I understood was that it was part of the enigma gene in general, and some just displayed it more then others. (as with the enigma pattern)
Today I was told this is not the case, and that enigmas either had the "defect" or they didn't and that it wasn't always present. I was also told that the defect comes from breeding and enigma to another enigma and that even generations down the line if your geckos bloodline has 2 enigma parents in there somewhere then you're stuck with the defect gene in every enigma produced from that bloodline. Meaning that the enigmas that have the defect come from bloodlines that were once enigma x enigma and the bloodline shouldn't be continued at all.

Summary...

If an enigma has the neurological defect it comes from a tainted bloodline and shouldn't be bred for risk of passing on the defect.
But that this is not the case with all enigmas as long as they don't have two enigma parents somewhere in their family tree.

So my question is, Are enigmas with the defect doomed as breeders?
Should we not breed them for fear of continuing the defect?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
KelliH
The "defect" is a flaw in the cerebellum of the animal. Whatever the gene is that causes the Enigma to look the way it does also causes this flaw. It has nothing to do with breeding Enigma to Enigma. The cerebellum is the part of the brain that controls perception (the ability to judge distance) and balance. The issues vary from gecko to gecko, and in most Enigmas it manifests itself very subtly. In some of them it is more outwardly apparent. You can compare the Enigma with the Spider Ball Python, which has similar issues that are probably resulting from the same cerebellum flaw. The issues do not keep the geckos from eating and growing normally at all.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
MicroZooKits
So that would mean that the enigma mutation in general caused the disorder and that ALL enigmas possess this disorder just to different intensity values. Which would explain why breeding two enigmas together increases the chance of the offspring's value being more intense because you have two parent values contributing instead of one.

For example if Parent A has a defect value of 20/100 while parent B has a defect value of 32/100 the offspring are more likely to have a higher ratio themselves then say only one parent carrying a 20/100 defect value?

(1/100 being not noticeable while 100/100 would be a gecko that can't even function)

So would an enigma with let's say a defect value of 10/100 be able to produce offspring with a higher value even if bred to a non enigma?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Mokele
Honestly, any line that shows a neurological defect should be terminated, immediately. A trip to the freezer is probably excessive, but at the very least neither of the parents should be bred again, ever, even to different animals. There are several possible genetic mechanisms for such defects, but none of them are good, and responsible breeding means doing your part of remove animals carrying defective genes from the gene pool.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
MicroZooKits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
Honestly, any line that shows a neurological defect should be terminated, immediately. A trip to the freezer is probably excessive, but at the very least neither of the parents should be bred again, ever, even to different animals. There are several possible genetic mechanisms for such defects, but none of them are good, and responsible breeding means doing your part of remove animals carrying defective genes from the gene pool.
And I totally agree with you.
If someone before me would've thought the same way, I probably wouldn't be going through this right now. I just examined the baby with the defect, and even without stress he is barely able to walk on his front legs. Head sways and he looks drunk as all heck. If I don't see any signs of improvement in the next few weeks he might have to take that trip. I don't really want him to have to go through life unable to care for himself, or risk some clown trying to breed him for any reason at all. On top of that I have to figure out what to do with his mom as she is one of my favorite geckos but I don't have the time to care for geckos outside of the colonies.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Lucille
Poor little guy. I understand that some critters are born defective, but I agree that we should do the best we can to breed and produce healthy critters.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
It's really shoulda coulda woulda with the Enigmas (and the Spider Balls) at this point. They're out there, and I think that it's really up to each individual whether they choose to work with them or not.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroZooKits View Post
So that would mean that the enigma mutation in general caused the disorder and that ALL enigmas possess this disorder just to different intensity values. Which would explain why breeding two enigmas together increases the chance of the offspring's value being more intense because you have two parent values contributing instead of one.

For example if Parent A has a defect value of 20/100 while parent B has a defect value of 32/100 the offspring are more likely to have a higher ratio themselves then say only one parent carrying a 20/100 defect value?

(1/100 being not noticeable while 100/100 would be a gecko that can't even function)

So would an enigma with let's say a defect value of 10/100 be able to produce offspring with a higher value even if bred to a non enigma?
It really doesn't work that way though. I've done as much outcrossing as anyone with the Enigmas (and basically everyone that has them outcrosses as it is a dominant gene) and it's not a matter of not breeding Enigma to Enigma or breeding Enigmas that had two Enigma grandparents. Most Enigmas only show very subtle signs of any sort of issues, but there are some that will be more affected. Some that hatch with noticeable issues seem to "grow out of it" which may just be the brains way of compensating for the vestibular difficulties. Periods of stress (breeding, change of environment etc.) seem to cause these symptoms to increase as well, but many times when the stressful period is over the animals will begin behaving more normally. It's not understood yet exactly what an Enigma really is genetically, but I have geckos being studied now (they have been for more than 6 months) by one of the best vet programs in the country. Full results will be posted as soon as I have them.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Mokele
A plausible hypothesis a friend of mine advanced was that it's due to abnormalities in neural crest cells.

Neural crest cells are a specialized form of developmental cells unique to chordates. Unlike other cell lines which develop in fairly straightforward, position dependent ways (endoderm becomes the gut tube, ectoderm becomes the skin, neural tube becomes the brain and spinal cord, etc.), neural crest cells migrate all over the embryo, developing into all sorts of bizarre and seemingly random structures, such as teeth, inner ear, major cardiac vessels, glands, and melanocytes, the pigmented cells of the skin.

It's possible that the underlying cause of some pattern variants is altered neural crest cell migration, resulting in different distributions of pigment, but with a 'side-effect' of also altering some other migrations and developments, such as the development of the inner ear.

Of course, it's merely a plausible hypothesis, and since I'm not an embryologist by any stretch, it'll have to await testing by someone with a more appropriate skill set.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
MicroZooKits
That would make sense though, especially if both the crest cell migrations derived from the original mutated sector or something

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!