Rats have it over mice ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Droptine8
Rats have it over mice ?

Is a general rule that rats,say small rats and rat pups, are more nutritious,,higher in protein and calcium,,than mice ?
So it would be better to feed a small rat than to feed 2 medium mice, yes ?.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
zipzagger
I've noticed my snakes do better on rats, they look better anyway and I feed them less often.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
DAND
I deal mainly with Colubrids and get the willing ones on rat pinks versus mice fuzzies and I can see a difference.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
whatnowcustoms
mice are way more nutritious....rats have a really high fat content

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
kellysballs
when I get home I have a veterinary book that breaks down the nutritional value of pinks and fuzzys of mice and rats as well as adult mice and rats, and day old chicks. From what I remember rats of all ages have higher protien, calcium and fat content verses mice. Therefore rats contain more nutrition per gram as compared to mice of the same approximate age.
I will scan the table later this evening when I get home.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
whatnowcustoms
read this: http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/reply/97283#reply-97283

Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
hhmoore
Benefit of one type of feeder over another depends on a variety of factors, one of the more obvious being the type and size of animal being fed. Even within the thread mentioned above, there is some conflicting information....and there is a world of difference between GTPs and NA colubrids. What works well for one species may not be as good for another.
Here's a chart that was linked in the above thread (and may be similar to what Kelly planned to post: http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp). The same chart, along with others, is included in the more thorough article posted by Mokele.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
kellysballs
Harold brings up a good point. I think rats rule and I prefer them to mice for my BP's but that does not mean that rats are best for all herps since different species may have different nutritional requirements.

Unfortunatley I am in the middle of a move and I am unable to find the chart I was looking for. I have looked for the last 30 min . Oh well

Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
Droptine8
Going by the charts,,it would seem that rats DO edge out mice, as far as protein and calcium.Yes a bit more fat,but that should'nt be a problem as long as you don't over feed with them,no??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!