Mite infested. Grrrrr - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
jamay
Good source on the mites. I laughed when I read that some can travel "55 feet per minute," though I realize that's a lot for such a tiny creature. Still no sign of more mites but I've been worried about the snake's condition. He's been completely different since the mite episode. Before, he was active, flighty and somewhat intimidating, but now appears relaxed with a decreased level of consciousness. He was in BAD shape so maybe he's still recovering. It doesn't help that he hasn't eaten in over 6 weeks and his spine is starting to show.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
The poison you put directly on him could be having an effect on the snake. You may want to consider taking him to a vet.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
jamay
Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. Unfortunately the vet is out of the question due to money issues. I must be a terrible person. I am hoping that his personality change is a result of all the attention I've been giving him lately and he's adjusting to me.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
jamay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamay
"55 feet per minute,"
Misquoted. I meant "55 feet per hour." Can you imagine mites traveling 55 ft/min.....that'd be ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
wcreptiles
Here's a little blurb on reptile insecticide toxicosis, just so you can worry a bit more. Remember he inhaled and tongue flicked some insecticide while in the bag, so he ingested more than what was absorbed through the skin.

I'm not recommending any treatment contained within the text, don't do anything out of the ordinary. I would suggest you make your snake feel secure and make sure he's well hydrated. This may start him eating again.

I would strongly suggest a trip to vet if the snake is not acting 'healthy'.

"TOXIC NEUROPATHIES:

Insecticides-
Reptiles appear to be exquisitely sensitive to insecticide toxicosis.
It has been reported that birds are 10 to 20 times more sensitive to
insecticides than mammals, and reptiles appear to be more sensitive than
birds. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has registered 36
organosphosphates and 46 carbamates for use in agriculture. Many forms of
insecticides, including sprays, powders, and pesticide impregnated strips,
have been used to control external parasite problems in reptiles. Their use
may result in neurologic signs secondary to pesticide toxicity.

Clinical signs are generally nonspecific and include head tilt,
circling, opishotonos, and seizure activity. Treatment is generally
supportive including fluid therapy for hydration and renal support.
Atropine is beneficial in treatment of organophosphate or carbamate
intoxication. Mild cooling of the patient has been recommended to decrease
nerve conduction velocity and lessen the severity of seizure activity.
This will also slow the patients ability to metabolize the drug and
eliminate the toxin.

Opisthotonos = abnormal posturing that involves rigidity and severe arching of the back, etc.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
jamay
Thanks for the article. I'll see what I can do about getting him to the vet but it's a small chance. He's not showing any of the neurological symptoms described but he does appear very tense when not moving. I tried feeding a live mouse to him today with no luck. I was at least happy to see him moving around and flicking his tongue in the mouse's presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcreptiles
Here's a little blurb on reptile insecticide toxicosis, just so you can worry a bit more. Remember he inhaled and tongue flicked some insecticide while in the bag, so he ingested more than what was absorbed through the skin.

I'm not recommending any treatment contained within the text, don't do anything out of the ordinary. I would suggest you make your snake feel secure and make sure he's well hydrated. This may start him eating again.

I would strongly suggest a trip to vet if the snake is not acting 'healthy'.

"TOXIC NEUROPATHIES:

Insecticides-
Reptiles appear to be exquisitely sensitive to insecticide toxicosis.
It has been reported that birds are 10 to 20 times more sensitive to
insecticides than mammals, and reptiles appear to be more sensitive than
birds. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has registered 36
organosphosphates and 46 carbamates for use in agriculture. Many forms of
insecticides, including sprays, powders, and pesticide impregnated strips,
have been used to control external parasite problems in reptiles. Their use
may result in neurologic signs secondary to pesticide toxicity.

Clinical signs are generally nonspecific and include head tilt,
circling, opishotonos, and seizure activity. Treatment is generally
supportive including fluid therapy for hydration and renal support.
Atropine is beneficial in treatment of organophosphate or carbamate
intoxication. Mild cooling of the patient has been recommended to decrease
nerve conduction velocity and lessen the severity of seizure activity.
This will also slow the patients ability to metabolize the drug and
eliminate the toxin.

Opisthotonos = abnormal posturing that involves rigidity and severe arching of the back, etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
jamay
I took a couple of pictures hoping to show his rigidness. I was thinking it might be ophithotonos but I really don't have a clue. He doesn't arch his back or anything, he just collapses into an accordion-like position. You can then push him along while he holds the position stiffly. You can also see the condition of his eye and submouth region with the yellowish crud. I don't know if this is stuff is like a scab or if its dirty buildup from neosporin or both. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about it or if it'll just disappear over time. Any thoughts on any of this?

I realize the vet is the best thing for him but after being rear-ended by the IRS I can't afford it.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
jamay
And I nearly forgot the pictures......
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
TripleMoonsExotic
Where did you get the idea to put neosporin on his eye?

The only thing any of us can suggest is you get him to a vet as soon as possible.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Where did you get the idea to put neosporin on his eye?

The only thing any of us can suggest is you get him to a vet as soon as possible.
A good vet is FAR more cost effective than a lot of people think. I'm talking $60 for a visit. They can at least give you some very good advice (picking a good herp vet) as an alternative to expensive medications and such.

Neosporin. Kills mites by asphyxiation. What happens to their dead bodies?

Edit2: At the very least, spend $20 on some reptile relief. It is a very good method of dealing with a horrible little creature (the mites, I mean.... :P ) I had a pretty good mite problem and one session of about 4 hours, new substrate, RR and Provent, and it was done. I haven't seen mite one since. In ONE session. That cost me $100 for everything, but I have several enclosures to deal with.

Edit3: You haven't bathed this guy in neosporin have you?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!