Identification of a snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Beezam
Identification of a snake

Hello everyone!

So my husband is an inquisitive man who found this little fellow in the outer corridor near the drain pipe inlet and where our cat has its food.

He's sure its a baby snake and I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me identify whether it is a baby snake, and if that is so, then what snake it is please.

I have a toddler who roams every where and this would be a dangerous situation for us.

PLEASE help! Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
snowgyre
Your profile says you currently live in Pakistan, is this the case? Most of us are familiar with North American species, so we may not be able to get you a positive identification.

However, considering the blunt nose and tail of that snake, I think you have stumbled upon a harmless and relatively hard to find blind snake. Blind snakes spend most of their time underground and look more like worms than snakes. There are four species of blind snake in Pakistan, including the Brahminy blind snake (Ramphotyphlops braminus), Ahsan's blind snake (Typhlops ahsanai), slender worm snake (Typhlops porrectus), and Typhlops madgemintonai which consists of two subspecies. T. m. madgemintonai is Madge's blind snake, and T. m. shermanai is Sherman's blind snake.

I have to be honest though, I pulled this information from wikipedia. You may want to do a Google Image search for each of the species and subspecies listed above to get a confirmed identification. In any case, I think you're pretty lucky to have stumbled upon a type of snake I've never seen! Most blind snakes stay small, there's a chance you actually have an adult rather than a baby.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Beezam
Phew!! That's a relief!

Thank you SOO much @snowgyre! I googled these images up and I found Typhlops Ahsanai to resemble the one I have the most.

Thank you again!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
snowgyre
No problem! I'm glad to help!

Do you mind if you can please upload your photo and sighting to HerpMapper.org? This would be our first official record for Pakistan period, and considering its a rarely-seen species to begin with, this would be an excellent record to have in our database. The information is used by scientists to keep track of species distributions worldwide and how they change over time. If you would like help setting an account I can walk you through it, or if you would like me to enter the record for you, I can do that too. I would just need an exact location via a google maps link. I understand why you would not want to share that with me, and if you create your own account your specific location is kept confidential and is only seen by scientists who request the data via a specific scientific proposal.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Beezam
Of course, I'd love to do so!

I'll try to go through the process myself first and if I face some issues, I'll give you the information.

Thank you again, you've been a great help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!