Some people say they wouldn't change a thing....... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
riverjop
Some people say they wouldn't change a thing.......

For you people out there who have been breeding Leo's Or other Herps for more than five years. I am curious if you could do it all over, if you could start from scratch, what would you do differently? Would you specialize?...in color?...in size? in maybe other species? Or would you just say I wish I never got started?
I don't want a poll, I want your thoughts! If you could go back in time five years, with what you know now, what would you do?

Old 04-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
riverjop
WOW! either no one reading this has been raising leo's and/or reptiles for five years?, Or no one would change a thing? or evryone is to lazy to type? or there's a new beverly hillbilly's on TV today?
Actually I just wanted to bump this! LOL

Old 04-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
leaftail
Looking back, there are a lot of herps i wish i hadn't bought. And a lot i wish i had.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Jeremy Letkey
Overton, that is a silly question. If I could go back, every new morph of every reptile in the last five years would have been produced by... ME. I think that about sums it up nicely.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
well...

I'm not sure I would change a thing!

Old 04-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
hill4803
There are some geckos I would've held onto & some others I would've let go. Not leos, but some cool day geckos I had. I also would've started building my own cages instead of buying...could've saved a LOT of money! Other than those few things...no regrets! Oh yeah...I wouldn't have let my brother take care of my nile monitor, he ended up dying (the monitor) and I was very attached to him.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
Milwaukee Reptiles
While I haven't been breeding leos for 5 years, I have had reptiles for about 7 years. In terms of leos, I think I would have saved up more money when I started. I bought a lot of leos that were normal in terms of patterns and color. I would have preferred to save up some money and bought some really, really high end geckos and started my breeding colony off with a few really good ones rather than a lot of normal looking ones.

I also would have decided against the bearded dragons... they're cool but a LOT of effort compared to leos. I would have used the money I saved from the dragons to get more into Rhacs, I LOVE my little gargoyles.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Gekkonida
I don't think I would change anything because those years of experience, both good and bad, really helped! As far as what I would have worked with i.e. color pattern etc, I would done things the same and would say don't be afraid to take chances and not follow the pack. If you see a pattern/ color you like work on it you just never know!

Old 04-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
progeckos
I would keep roaches instead of crickets…

Old 04-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #10
riverjop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Reptiles
While I haven't been breeding leos for 5 years, I have had reptiles for about 7 years. In terms of leos, I think I would have saved up more money when I started. I bought a lot of leos that were normal in terms of patterns and color. I would have preferred to save up some money and bought some really, really high end geckos and started my breeding colony off with a few really good ones rather than a lot of normal looking ones.

I also would have decided against the bearded dragons... they're cool but a LOT of effort compared to leos. I would have used the money I saved from the dragons to get more into Rhacs, I LOVE my little gargoyles.

Now see that is what I am talking about! I feel some what the same. When I got into Leo's I wasn't "selective" about what I got. I looked for nice Leo's but not one's that would have been exceptional. I have very limited space in our current house, and I have only so much room so I maxed out after my first season with babies and adults. Looking back I wish I had been more selective with my choices, In other words I wish I had set goals for morphs, colors etc... Now Last year when I started working with Crestids I had decided to work only with Reds and other Not so normal colors. I put more thought into it and have certain goals which I am striving for, instead of working with "whatever". Thats kinda what this thread was getting at. I'm sure there are People out there with other interesting thoughts and situations. And don't let the five years deter anyone from posting...I originally just was trying to find out from people who had been in this for awhile, but actually there are people out there right now who have goals and possibly great ideas!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!