I'm getting my toes wet!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
A_Kendergirl
I'm getting my toes wet!!

I saw a ball python today and instantly fell in love with it. It's a very pretty normal from what I can tell. I got permission from my other half to get it, and I'm going tomorrow. (I'll post pictures when I do) This will be my first BP!!!

I've read a book, 1/2 dozen or more caresheets, and countless forum threads...BUT...you guys know there are always tips you find out along the way. SO, any tips you guys can give me would be awesome! I've been thinking about getting a BP for awhile now, so this isn't an impulse buy (other then it being a few months early!) I'm not new to herps by any means (I've had at least one herp of some sort for the last 10 years)...but this is my first snake. I know they aren't recommended for a beginner, but I'm confident that the care needed is well within my abilities.

Mostly, I'm concerned with handling. Where is that fine line between taming and overdoing it? I've read you can handle daily...is that correct?

Currently, I'm gecko crazy...I've got 6.12.2 leopard geckos!

Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
KelliH
Shanti- I just replied to your email from the other day about this. I go into a lot of detail in the email, but the main thing I think you should be sure of is that your new snake is a captive bred in the USA animal, not captive hatched in Africa and definitely not wild caught. Also find out what it has been feeding on, and make sure it looks fat and healthy, and well hydrated. Are you buying it from a breeder online or a pet shop?

I am excited for you, your first snake, how cool! I just want it to be a positive experience for you, and a cbb ball is the way you want to go.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
amayon
hey you stole my name! I used to be amayon_kendergirl on yahoo IM lmao

Kender RAWK

Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
A_Kendergirl
I'll be getting all that info today. I already had plans to ask them about the import/CH/CBB. I have no plans to get an import. As pretty as the snake is...I don't need that sort of trouble with my first one!

I only got to look at it for a second yesterday while I was buying some roaches. It is nice and plump...and was fairly active, which I think may mean it's a bit hungry.

It is from a petshop...but if all the pieces don't fall into place I'll be walking away.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
A_Kendergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayon
hey you stole my name! I used to be amayon_kendergirl on yahoo IM lmao

Kender RAWK
HAHA!! They sure do! Thou, it does cause some problems for me! LOL One...people tend to think I'm YOUNG due to the "girl" part. Two...they think I can't spell (which IS true)...they think I ment to say "Kinder". LOL

But THANKFULLY someone knows what I'm refering to!

Old 01-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #6
Southwick Herps
I made the mistake of getting imports.. It was jsut that, a mistake. What didn't help was the lady I ordered them from sent them UPS ground service, and it took over 72hrs for them to arrive. Not to mention they were sent with only 20hr heat packs, and it was in the winter... They arrived and had Pneaumonia, Ticks, Mouth Rot, and hemridging (sp?). One died the first night, and the other was euthonized by the vet the following day.. Luckily, nothing else got sick..
But, now I have 2CBB Balls who are excellent. The difference between wc and cb is amazing. I mean, CB balls seem to be prone to absolutely none of the problems that a WC ball is.. Mine, except the female during winter, eat without any hesitation on f/t rats, and are very tolerant to handling.
Anyways, GOOD LUCK!! I know you'll enjoy the ball, they are wonders to own.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
A_Kendergirl
Kelli- I never got that email...servers must have eaten it!

I did get the BP!! Woohoo! I'll be posting photos later. It's a little male, CBB. He looks healthy as far as I can tell. I looks like he may have one retained scale on his head, but I'm not sure. He only balled up after they sexed him (can't blame him!)...he hasn't done it since I got him home. I'm taking that as a good sign!

A question about feeding. I was told to wait a few days before attempting to feed, but it looks like he's ready for feeding now. He's been "pacing" back and forth, and sitting with his nose up in the corners. Should I attempt to feed him (oh boy, oh boy!)?

I'm trying to think of a name, and I somehow got "Fluffy" stuck in my head! ROFL

I can see I'll be having fun for awhile! Reading about them can't substitute for actual working experience!

Old 01-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Southwick Herps
I don't think it could hurt to try feeding? I feed snakes the same day if they are lookin hungry... Never had any ill effects. The only time I dont do it is after shipping, because they are a lot more stressed than when you bring them home from the pet store..

Old 01-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
A_Kendergirl
Awesome! I just saw him drinking. It took nearly six months to catch one of my geckos drinking. I surprised that I saw my BP drink so soon.

I think I will try feeding later today. From what I can tell, he doesn't appear to be stressed, and looks hungry. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I had the impression that they are only really active when they are looking for food.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
LadyOhh
Pretty much... Balls are rather sedentary, but they move around when they are stressed out in thier situation, hungry, or just bored ( :-) ).
Make sure to feed him something small at first to keep him satiated but not overly full, then try next time with something a bit larger.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!