Compensation from an airline for dead animals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Wu-Gwei
Compensation from an airline for dead animals

I imported some reptiles this year and the airline in question did not sufficiently heat the cargohold enough. I had the CFIA vet(Canadian Food and Insepction Agency), who was inspecting the animals for import, agree that the animals were not heated.

I had paid for the animals to be heated and ventilated in their special cargo-hold for live animals. However, three of my animals have died b/c of the cold shipping conitions. I am seeking compensation from them and they refuse b/c they do not want to set a precedence. That is their offical policy, nevermind if they were wrong or not. I was wondering if anyone knows any cases where airlines Canada, US or international has paid out damages for causing death to animals while shipping them? Any suggestions?

It can be for any animal... as long as an airline has paid out for loss of a pet.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 12-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
HailJah
You'll only get paid if you have something in writing on the AWB that the animals will be maintained at a certain temperature and then you have to prove that the animals were not heated. Having a government agency agree that they were not heated does not mean proof.

You'll have to have physical evidence. I've shipped herps that went to Florida via Chicago, and when they arrived, my client didn't even want to let USFW see the dead animals (USFW had elected to not examine this particular shipment) for fear they would accuse them of having the animals poorly packed. Then he goes and accuses me of selling him frozen snakes that have thawed out on their journey to the US.

If someone with a sane mind can think of a reason why someone would say something like this, please let me know. Frozen snakes? I gurantee live arrival, why ship frozen snakes? He must think i'm crazier than he is. I've offered to replace them, but they haven't asked for them to be shipped again.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Wu-Gwei
Actually, the unnamed airline is offering me US$200 so far. I know I should run with it, but my claim was not just the death, but pain and suffering for my wife and myself. These were my pets. I am getting a sympathetic ear, but it's taking a lot of letter writing and patience.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 12-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
snakebstr
Who sent the snakes and how long after they were shipped did they die and also how long did you have them before they were shipped? Thanks DAVID

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!