Reptiles Allowed via USPS.. including GATORS! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
neilg
Exclamation Reptiles Allowed via USPS.. including GATORS!

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm

Baby Alligators
Baby Caimans
Chameleons
Frogs
Lizards
Newts
Reptiles and Amphibians
Salamanders
Tadpoles and Toads

"Animals must not exceed 20 inches in length.
No additional requirements, except the applicable standards in section 52.
Packaging must comply with 522."

share others?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Lucille
The preface to the section you posted:

526.6 Small, Harmless, Cold–Blooded Animals

Small, harmless, cold–blooded animals, except for snakes, turtles, and turtle eggs, are mailable only when they meet certain requirements. For some examples, see Exhibit 526.6.

Exhibit 526.6Requirements for Mailing Small, Harmless, Cold–Blooded Animals (Except Snakes, Turtles, and Turtle Eggs)
General Requirements:
All animals in this group:
Must be able to reach their destination in good condition in the normal transit time between the mailing and address points.
Must not require any food, water, or attention during transport.
Must not create sanitary problems.
Must not create obnoxious odors.

And of course, especially near Christmas, mailing USPS may run into significant delays, so it's not always such a good deal for the critter.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
blueboost68
So qny update I for one would like to know for sure

Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
blueboost68
Sorry (any}

Old 04-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Looks as if the regulations have not changed:

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm#ep184096

I cannot, though, think of any circumstances under which it makes more sense to ship a live reptile via USPS than through FedEx overnight service.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
JColt
Just my opinion but reptiles I'd stick with FedEx. I do get deliveries of tarantulas and roaches via usps OK but I would not trust for reptiles.

I was once expecting a large shipment of roaches. It said delivered and was not. I called local store. This woman said, call back in 20 min's and she'd check. I called back 20 min's later and got voicemail. Checked website and they closed on Saturday at 3:30. She had me call 10 min's after they went home. I wanted to go there and strangle her.

Luckily box was located 6 houses down on even number side. I live on odd number side. I'm at 161 and was delivered to 180. Incompetence all around.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
blueboost68
Its strictly for Tarantulas .

Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
robyn@Pro Exotics
Of note on tarantulas, they have previously been prohibited with ANY shipping provider, against TOS with FedEx and UPS, and illegal through US Postal.

But that has changed. At ShipYourReptiles, we were able to get a tarantula/invert exception to our specific account, so it is now approved and certified, only with SYR, to ship tarantulas, centipedes, spiders, scorpions and other inverts.

We've worked on this for years now, glad it has finally come to fruition!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Beyond GenetiX
I ship toads via usps and never had an issue. Just like I'd ship a reptile, insulated marked boxes "live amphibians".

Old 04-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
blueboost68
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn@Pro Exotics View Post
Of note on tarantulas, they have previously been prohibited with ANY shipping provider, against TOS with FedEx and UPS, and illegal through US Postal.

But that has changed. At ShipYourReptiles, we were able to get a tarantula/invert exception to our specific account, so it is now approved and certified, only with SYR, to ship tarantulas, centipedes, spiders, scorpions and other inverts.

We've worked on this for years now, glad it has finally come to fruition!
I will get in touch with you on shipping them and thanks for the heads up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!