Baby burmese wanted.....albino also... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 AM   #1
bamadude88
Exclamation Baby burmese wanted.....albino also...

Im looking to buy around 3 baby burmese pythons... Im buying them as Christmas gifts.... The cheeper the better.... But looking for good, tame and healthy pythons is a must! Also interested in Albinos... Reply ASAP Thanks, Justin Please reply on here first before sending email... If possiable send email and post on here.. I hardly check my email!

Old 11-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Rakshasanyc
I love Burms to death

but I'm not sure they're an ideal Christmas present. Unfortunately, cute baby Burms rapidly grow up to be cute BIG Burms... and a lot of people aren't ready to handle the housing requirements for a 15'+ snake, never mind the feeding.

I don't worry too much about people getting hurt by big Burms, but I do worry about the snakes not getting the kind of care they need and deserve. If you're going to be giving out Burms as Christmas presents, I just hope you're giving them to people who really appreciate these beautiful animals -- and who can give them the appropriate attention.

If so, you couldn't give a better gift. A Burm can provide its keepers with decades of enjoyment.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
DAND
Lightbulb

Justin,

You may get more of a response if you post your request in the Pythons for sale/wanted Classifieds section. Some of the sellers don't always look here.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
bamadude88
well what do you think would be a good choice...ball python?

Old 11-30-2004, 05:28 AM   #5
DAND
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadude88
well what do you think would be a good choice...ball python?
bamadude88,

I don't know if I understand you last post. Here are the links to both the Python and Ball Python Classified section. If you post your request(s) there you will more likely receive a response quicker then here. If you are looking for Burms I'd suggest posting in the Pythons section.

Pythons: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=47

Ball Pythons: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=499

Old 11-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
Rakshasanyc
Burms or Balls?

Before I gave anyone either snake, I'd make sure that s/he knew the housing requirements. You're going to need a 30 gal. tank for a Ball Python: you're also going to need a heating source, a lamp, and a top which said Ball can't knock loose. (Balls are notorious escape artists). Both Burms and Balls will need to be kept at a temperature which is consistently above 80*... and both will get ill and die if they aren't provided with heat. Both will need a hide box so they can feel comfortable. Balls can be fussy eaters: Burms will generally eat anything provided to them. However, a Ball only gets to be 5' to 6' long -- so they are a bit more manageable

For a Ball Python, you can expect to spend $100 at a bare minimum on housing, plus another $40 to $50 on the snake. If you're getting a Burm, you will be spending a LOT more on housing. (When Ayida, my Burm, is full-grown, she will require an 8'+ by 4'+ cage .... that will probably set me back well over $1,000.

I would not give anyone a snake unless I was also providing them with housing for the snake... unless I knew they had kept snakes in the past and had the required equipment on hand. Otherwise you're essentially condemning the snake to a slow and painful death.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
bamadude88
Thanks for the information..... My sister has a burm.... and I will look more into the care and housing of these beautiful creatures.... As far as housing Im more than ready I have a 50 gal. tank and Im getting more heating devices tommrow.. I already have the heat rocks... Thanks, Justin

Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
Rakshasanyc
Hot rocks.

Most herpers will tell you to steer clear of hot rocks; snakes and other reptiles frequently burn themselves severely on hot rocks. (They fall asleep on them and don't realize they're cooking themselves...). Instead try to get an under-tank heating pad: that will provide warmth without the danger of coming home to a sunburned (or sauteed) snake. Alternately, you can use heating lights: I'm sure there are a number of people on here who can give you some other ideas.

A 50 gal. tank should be more than enough for a ball python throughout its life, but a Burm will probably outgrow it within a couple of years (and maybe within a year, depending on how much you feed it). If you're handy with tools, you'll ultimately do better making a custom enclosure for a big Burm. (You won't need that at first, though: this is just planning for the future).

Also make sure to get a hide box or space where the snake can crawl into and be sheltered from prying eyes. If you don't have that, the snake will start getting stressed out and will either get nippy or go off its feed altogether. (The latter is more likely with a Ball; the former with a Burm).

Best of luck with whatever snake you get. I can't blame you for loving Burms, since they're my hands-down all-time favorite snake.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #9
MGReptiles
I would suggest gettin them a book and mabey a video on the snake you are wanting to get them. Then after they have read or watched the video get them the cage for a birthday present and then the snake for the next christmas present.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!