frozen vs. live feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
CTtrapper
frozen vs. live feeding

My question for you more experianced is this. With our larger corn snakes in particular, We raised them on frozen pinks/fuzzys. Having recently bought a adult okeete, we started feeding live mice to it and another adult we own.As you know, the snakes absolutley love this and it is cool to see them eat.
I was recently told however of the dangers feeding live mice if the mice are sick or diseased. (passing it on to the snake).
What are your thoughts on this and what are your practices? Frozen only or occasional live too?
Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
DAND
There is not only the possibility of parasites and disease from feeding live, there is the possibility of the live prey hurting the snake. A bite or scratch that goes unnoticed could cause infection and possible death or disfigurement. If your snake will eat frozen thawed then I'd stick with it instead of chancing the snake's well being.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
Jim O
What Dave said is accurate. Stick with thawed. It's best all around.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
CTtrapper
David, Jim, thank you very much.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #5
DAND
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
sschind
I agree with the other sentiments. Stick with frozen. If you think it is cool to see them eat like this then get a long forceps and simply move the frozen mouse around as if it were alive. You should see the same reaction from your snake as if the mouse were alive and there arre no dangers.

Steve

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!