Feeding Hatchlings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
coyote
Question Feeding Hatchlings

Are there ever any issues getting hatchlings of any of the python species to start feeding? This seems to be a common ocurrence with cornsnakes.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
DAND
I've never had feeding issues with Burms, Jungle or Carpet pythons. Imported ball pythons seem to have the most issues.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Never with Burms, Jungle or Carpet pythons. Imported ball pythons seem to have the most issues.
While I agree with the ball python portion, I must disagree with the beginning statement. I have kept and bred Carpets (primarily Jungles and Diamond Xs) for years - and of all the hatchlings I have purchased, probably 20% of them have been problem feeders. right now I have 2 hatchlings from mine that are being force fed because they have refused all offerings. As for burms, there are the occasional picky eaters that need to be dealt with...but once you find what they will eat, its easy enough.
As for the more common boas - most aren't too bad to get started, and many are willing to take f/t right from the beginning. That does not guarantee, however, that any boa species you get will be a great feeder.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
hhmoore
Sorry about that, for some reason I had boas on the brain. Back to pythons - As already stated, you can always encounter tough to start babies. If planning a purchase, your best bet is to hold off til you find well started babies (regularly accepting meals that you can offer). If you are researching for something you will breed, If you familiarize yourself with the species and get the husbandry down, that will eliminate many problems. From there it is a matter of patience and perseverance.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
While I agree with the ball python portion, I must disagree with the beginning statement.
My statement was based on my experiences.

Of course in the other threads I stated that but I forgot to say it in this thread. I'll go back and edit it if I can.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Jim O
I agree. There are carpets that need assist feeds at first, though most catch on quickly.

Black headed pythons and some Antaresia (especially Anthill Pythons) are often tough to get going also.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
fiction
Anthill python feeding (a.k.a. perth or pygmy python)

Speaking from experience Anthill python neonates are usually difficult in getting to feed on their own. I lost a couple of hatchlings to problems with feeding. Once they start though they are easier 7 hardier than some boas! So I will keep breeding these little guys ( & gals).
anthillpython.com

Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
ravensgait
I think you can find tough to start babies in all of them. My personal nemesis has been Chondro babies. Randy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!