Still not eating, shall I give him babyfood? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
gothra
Question Still not eating, shall I give him babyfood?

Just last month, I was still thinking Bubu (adult male) was getting too chubby and needed a diet (reached 90g), and suddenly he just stopped eating all together. This is the 4th week now, shall I feed him some babyfood + calcium? I tried crickets, mealies and supers, he doesn't even look at them.

Bit more info, he had been dewormed by vet in June (panacur and flagyl, follow up test was negative); I had a look at his poop last month, nothing there. He had shed once since he stopped eating and he is still active; although he spends more time at the cool end of the tank. He is losing about 1g per week.

Is this normal for the seasonal change? Shall I give him babyfood or shall I wait till he want to eat by himself?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
questions...

Bonni, has Bubu lost any significant weight? Had he previously been with a female(s) in a breeding situation?

Old 11-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
gothra
Marcia,

Bubu was 90g end of September, he's now 85g. He's in a 15G tank by himself; never bred him.

Bonnie

Old 11-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
hmmm...

Well, at his weight I wouldn't worry too much yet about a 5 gram loss at this time of year. If the ambient room temperatures are dropping and the sun is shining for shorter periods of time, he could just be going through a seasonal slow-down.

Gosh, I can't stand it when my geckos don't eat like that!!!

Old 11-05-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
gothra
Yeah...I always leave a bowl of mealworms with him overnight, and the very first thing I do every morning is go check if he has eaten any......its disappointment again this morning.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:38 AM   #6
Lemur_6
Hmm... That sounds JUST like my gecko. I have a male gecko slightly over a year old and he hasn't eaten a thing for about 4 weeks now. He hasn't lost a single gram (last time I checked he was a hair over 60 grams), he's drinking water and he's pooping urates. He been spending a lot of time sleeping rather than walking like he used to for about just the last week or so.

He has done this before, but not for this long, but then again, I haven't had him for more than a year now. Vet seems unsurprised and tells me that it might just be a seasonal thing.

What's the normal "cool down time" for most geckos? 1 mo.? 2 mo.?

-Lemur 6

Old 11-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
gothra
Yep, same as Bubu. He's drinking and pooping urate everyday; although he is sleeping a little bit more than usual, but still quite active.

One more question, if he still doesn't eat next week, I am planning to get him lick some chicken baby food; but will this act disturb his digestive system? Or is it just stress issues involved?

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
Lemur_6
I hear squash is better than chicken. I don't think my ferret would stand wasting good chicken on a gecko either, he'd get real jealous .

-Lemur 6

Old 11-07-2004, 09:49 AM   #9
gothra
Weird! I just weighed Bubu...

and he gained 2 grams this week! He's now back to 87g! I'm 100% sure he hadn't eaten anything for 4 whole weeks! According to my record, he should be shedding this coming week, so I guess the 2g is the extra skin?

Old 11-08-2004, 12:50 AM   #10
aliceinwl
Usually my leos drink a lot before they shed. It's probably water weight gain.
-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!