A little success for me - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
pakinjak
A little success for me

This is a HUGE milestone for me... my first Uroplatus hatchlings. One was born 12/30/2011 and the other 1/1/2012.

#1 a few minutes after hatching

#1 after first shed

#2 after first shed.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
radera5
Congrats Kevin
They are ridiculously cute!!

I know hatching out Uroplatus is a BIG milestone for anyone. Great job. If one of them needs a place to stay, I have an open room. Cheap rent with utilities AND food included !

Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
rcarichter
Great job Kevin! If you have some secrets to sell the rest of us uro breeders, put me on your list.

Noelle

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Focal
Congrats!! I have heard this is quite a challenge.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
pakinjak
Thanks everybody. I don't have any surefire tricks for this, but what little widsom I have I love to share.

In general parasites are a huge problem in Uroplatus, particularly coccidia. It's almost impossible to get rid of and easy to miss in a fecal. The symptoms aren't always the same either.

Just as big an issue is supplementation, primarily in females. They will lay themselves to death, and as an example the female that laid this clutch gave me 8 good eggs, 12 total and crashed the other night despite what I thought was adequate supplementation. She's on the mend, but I'm lucky. Put calcium in the water, nose drop it to them, put a bottlecap full in the cage and gutload your feeders well. I'm lucky my girl is still alive, many just crash and die.

When you get eggs, the standard incubation method is like what you see in my first picture- I use a tupperware type container with six 1/16" holes drilled in the sides. About two inches of wet incubation medium (vermiculite, perlite, superhatch, etc.) but then put the eggs in a bottlecap etc. on top of dry medium. This keeps them from getting too wet since the desired humidity is at least 80% up to 100%. I have been shooting for 95-100%. Also, lowish temps with a night drop is ideal. Example- these were incubated at 74-76 with a night drop down to 68-70. Doing it this way produces generally stronger hatchlings.

I've got four more cooking and will post when they show. Thanks for enjoying this experience with me!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
312Herps
Great production Kevin , congrats.I'm about to get a colony of leaftails ,going probably fimbriatus. Any advice on the Fimb's ?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
pakinjak
Fimbriatus are notoriously spotty breeders. You might get a few eggs this year, but nothing for the next two. Put them in the biggest enclosure you can find, daytime temps around 78 with a hotspot of no more than 82-84 (use a light bulb), they need a night drop down into the low 70's or high sixties.

Just know before you get into them that I've never talked to anyone who keeps Uroplatus that has ever broken even. They're a labor of love, not of profit. You have to be an attentive keeper and learn these animals. There aren't many people who stick with them because of all this. That being said, the success that you might have is extremely rewarding and they're awesome to watch.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Women
Wow how cute! congrats on your new little one they look gorgeous.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
312Herps
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakinjak View Post
Fimbriatus are notoriously spotty breeders. You might get a few eggs this year, but nothing for the next two. Put them in the biggest enclosure you can find, daytime temps around 78 with a hotspot of no more than 82-84 (use a light bulb), they need a night drop down into the low 70's or high sixties.

Just know before you get into them that I've never talked to anyone who keeps Uroplatus that has ever broken even. They're a labor of love, not of profit. You have to be an attentive keeper and learn these animals. There aren't many people who stick with them because of all this. That being said, the success that you might have is extremely rewarding and they're awesome to watch.
Thanks for the advice Kevin. I've kept them before for a short period of time about two years and had no success with them.Anything i breed i solely do with the intentions of keeping everything i can,so profit wouldn't be of concern thanks for the heads up though.I just love having such great subjects to photograph that look super prehistoric.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
pakinjak
Dang, I love hatching geckos... this one popped out tonight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!