Thinking about getting a retic. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Morelia4life
My wife knows I love snakes. She also knows that snakes come first. She really doesn't have a choice. If she doesn't like me keeping snakes, then she can get a divorce. She knows this and excepts this. This is the way that it will always be. We have been together for almost 3 years but I have kept snakes since I was 6 and I am now 23. If people can't understand that, then they can GTFO

I want a retic because I think they are amazing snakes. They are beautiful animals that demand a lot of respect and I think I have been keeping snakes long enough to finally get one. Everyone that I talk to says they are really smart animals and once I have them, I won't want any other snake. (I will always keep my carpets though no matter what).

Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
reticguy76
i will say this, your age shows in that post.

now, that being said, i dont think there is anything wrong with getting a retic.

only you know if you are physically and economically responsible and ready for a large snake such as a retic. this is in no way a promotion for anybody, but my first 3 snakes in my life (when i was in my teens) were relinquished adult retics (range 16-18 feet or so) with very strong anger issues. they turned out to be 3 of the best snakes i have ever had. if everyone took the advice of some of the people in the world about retics arent good first snakes and if you have never dealt with a retic, its not a good snake, etc, etc, then nobody would have ever had them to start with.
my point is, all you can do is research them as much as you can, if you have access to handle them and work with them as much as you can, its a huge bonus, know you can provide proper living environment (as they grow), provide proper feedings, have the proper time to handle as much as you can while they are young, and know about their sicknessess and problems that can erupt and either have a reptile vet near or know how to self correct (when applicable, some things just need a vet, but a lot of things you can adjust the micro-environment to correct a snakes health issue), also, know it can easily be a 25-30 year life these snakes can have.

ive always said, if any one person can answer these with positives and yes's, and you know you are properly prepared, get a cbb baby from a reputable breeder, so that you can grow with a generally calm snake as it grows.

best of luck

Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Morelia4life
I am just being blunt and honest. I love my snakes and no one can take that passion away from me. I will do my research on them as much as I can. I don't plan on getting one until probably 4 months or so, so I have time to do my research on cages, temperment, etc..
I guess I will see what happens in the future.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Micha
Like with every snake, respect is the key. I respect our large snakes and that's why I will not clean, feed or handle any of our large snakes without someone else in the room with me. I would suggest that anyone who wants a large constrictor to have that same respect. Like ReticGuy said, if you know anyone close by that has any large retics, stop and chat with them about retics. I wish you luck

Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
Utta
There are many breeders to get retics from. Martin isn't the only, biggest or most common retic breeder around. There are breeders who I'd go to that specialize in certain morphs. Want a sunfire? go to Travis Kubes(sp) want a platty? for to Jacob Kluts(? sp) Something like a white phase, lavender phase or purple phase albino are common enough that you can find quality lots of places.

Each retic will be 100% unique. So personality and temperament should never be expected. You could get one that's not cage aggressive at all, and can pick out of the enclosure with your hands. One might be a pisser in cage and you'll need a hook. One could be mean all the time. You wont know 'til you're looking at him/her.

You will get bit. Take note of that. You will get bit. It comes with the territory, shouldn't be feared, or expected to happen when you think it will. You can treat it like a HOT, but then why have a retic and not a HOT?

Caging falls on you. I know of some retics who hate larger cages, some who don't care what size cage they're in and others who there's no such thing as a big enough cage.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
the_yellow_pony
@ Morelia
Hate to say it man but that attitude is a surefire way to be divorced at an early age.

"She knows that snakes come first"
...and I am sure she loves that. As it comes across she is a runner up to a hobby of yours. I'm sure it makes her all tingly and warm inside right?

"She really doesn't have a choice."
Do I need to say more?

"If she doesn't like me keeping snakes, then she can get a divorce."
LOL *read as I will do what I want because I can and don't care if my wife leaves me over it because my hobby is number 1 on the list anyway*

"She knows this and excepts this."
You so sure about that? Not many women I know(and by not many I mean none) would take being runner up to a hobby very well.

I am 23 (Micha's husband) and I waited until Micha was ok with it to get a retic. I have wanted one for years but she was not comfortable with it until somewhat recently. Thus, I waited and this year she got me one as an early xmas gift.

I would love to keep hots BUT because my wife is not comfortable with it, I do not. It's not about I WANT AND NO ONE WILL EVER TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME. It's about having respect for your partner and your partner's opinions.

Your post comes across like your 14 and your mom just told you you couldn't go to the movies. OMG I DON'T CARE WHAT SHE THINKS I AM GOING TO DO IT ANYWAYS!!!!

Learn to compromise and respect your partner or you are setting yourself up for failure.

Just my $.02

Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Morelia4life
You can't say that I am setting myself up for failure becaue you don't know my wife or myself. Yes, she knows my snakes come before her, just like I know her dogs come before me. It is the way it is. If I had to choose between the snakes and her, it would be the snakes and if she had to choose me or the dogs, it would be the dogs. I have told her that and she has told me the same thing about the dogs. We understand this.

Her biggest issue about all of this is the money. If money wasn't an issue, I could probably get any reptile I wanted and she would be fine with it because she knows that I love reptiles and they make me happy. Not everyone has the same relationship. I love to spend money and she wants to save every penny. Another factor that plays into us arguing about money is our age. I am 23 and she is 29. I bring up wanting more snakes almost every day and it drives her crazy because we can't afford it but I still want them. Am I immature when it comes to money? Yes. I try and work on that but it doesn't really seem to help. I want to start breeding snakes one day and the only way to do that is to get more snakes.

Thanks for the advice though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!