burm question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
mikepanzarella
burm question

i have a burmese python and i live on long island,new york are these now illegal to own and transport in my state the law confuses me a bit
if its the case that it is illegal how to i go about taken steps to get rid of the snake because i cant own it i dont wanna break any laws

Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Utta
If you're referring to the new addition to the Lacey Act, then it's only illegal to transport your Burmese Python across state lines. It's not illegal for you to own them according to that act.

If there is a state/county law that makes it illegal to own Burmese Pythons, then you've been breaking the law this entire time, and I don't know what you could do but put it to sleep.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
mikepanzarella
Ok good there's no other law so I just can't move her over state lines that's fine
Thank you very much for clearing that up

Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Ok good there's no other law so I just can't move her over state lines that's fine
Wrong.
Burmese pythons have been regulated by the State of NY for several years - we lost an ongoing battle in 2004 and many reptiles were included in a wild animal legislation. Among them (snakes) burms, retics, afrocks, anacondas, and amethystines; also (monitors) niles, waters, crocodiles (again that is the monitor), black throats, and white throats.
Anybody owning restricted animals prior to the effective date (which I believe was Jan 05) could keep them under permit - they were "grandfathered in", if you will. My understanding, based on conversations that I had years ago, was that they were not issuing permits for new owners - but you'll have to contact DEC (special license department) for information. I believe that the "official" stance was that permits would be offered for education, exhibition, research, etc, and that applicants would be required to complete a special class...except there is no class, lol.
Also, to be clear, that law makes it illegal to keep, sell, transport, breed, or possess any of the restricted animals (I did not provide a full list, there were many mammals, and other reptiles included...venomous and crocodilians were already regulated so they were not addressed in this legislation except to limit the scope of exhibition). Even those animals which got grandfathered in under permit could not be bred or sold - basically, the owners are allowed to keep them as pets until they die - but I doubt the State would have raised a stink about selling to somebody out of State.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
mikepanzarella
wow i guess i missed burms when i was reading that when i was looking for an alligator and i always assumed they were fine being sold in some stores oh well now i have to find the best legal way for me to get rid of her but then again im kinda stuck cause its illegal for me to own lol ill figure something out ill call the DEC and see what they say later in the morning thanks Harald for clearing that up

Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
hhmoore
Alligators, as I mentioned, are covered under different legislation...and a different permit. If you were looking at the law about alligators, there's no reason for you to find anything about burms.
Your problem with getting rid of her will be the fact that burms are now listed as injurious wildlife, and can only be shipped across state lines legally for about another week (the rule was finalized on 1/17...it was planned for publication a few days later; then 60 days after that, it starts messing with our little worlds. I wouldn't be comfortable doing it after 3/20/12, which is a week from today).

Here is a publication by the USFWS, entitled
What the Listing of the Four Constrictor Snakes as Injurious Means
For People Who Own Snakes (it's 5 pages long, so I'm only posting the link)
http://www.fws.gov/home/feature/2012...ctorsnakes.pdf

Your options are somewhat limited, at this point....you can try like heck to get rid of her by next week, you can keep her (with or without a permit), or you can look into possibly exporting her. I can't say whether they would give you grief about exportation - there are two points which could present a problem: you'd need to get a health certificate, and the package will have to be inspected prior to shipment. At either place, DEC could potentially be contacted. Would they care? DEC has always been understaffed, and a burmese python leaving their jurisdiction probably isn't a big deal to them....then again, if there is anything the government can be counted on to do, it's screwing with people.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
mikepanzarella
Thank fully she's the last of the big snakes I have only 2 ball pythons after that (no way there on the List) and then the 7 eggs that were laid yesterday and I'm done with snakes as much as I love them I'm not a very good keeper of snakes I'll be sticking to bearded dragons and other small lizards

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!