Burmese Python Breeding Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Lord
Burmese Python Breeding Questions

What are the exact months for the burmese python breeding season? and what outcomes could i expect from breeding a albino burm to a granite burm? or an albino to a green?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
reticguy76
there is no "true" months of breeding season with burms, retics, rocks, etc. they will generally breed all year around, as long as they are of age, size, healthy and willing.

albino x granite = all normal looking babies double het for albino/granite
same with albino x green

most of the burm morphs are recessive, which means, that there has to be hets prior to producing visuals

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Lord
thanks for that info, that helps very much. what would you recommend i try to go for? a albino to a granite het albino or?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Utta
Breed what you like. You'll have entirely too many projects if you're trying to make everyone out there who likes burms, to buy one of yours.

That said, you can buy any number of combination visual/hets out there. There are triple visuals het labby, and everything inbetween. In my honest opinion, any single ressive gene burm shouldn't be bred. Your end result is to make albino granites? Then simply buy one. No need to produce 120+ burms that you'll (now) have a hard time moving, so you could make that single animal. If you love albino burms, and want to stick with that, then buy another albino and breed those.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Lord
good point!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Utta
Sorry, I should be more clear.

I don't think any single recessive burm should be bred to a DIFFERENT single recessive burm. (albino x green, green x labby, granite x labby, ETC) single gene recessive like albino x albino, to me, is fine. You'll still have a hard time moving the babies though.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
reticguy76
thats the part i meant to touch on that tyler hit. the whole burm legalities have hindered the burm hobby/business (for now anyway). unless you live in a state where burms are popular, or you take the chance and sell them over state lines (which many people are still doing and will continue to do). is it right ?? that is open to each persons thoughts and ideals

im with tyler also, take a singel (maybe a double) gene you really like (maybe even like a co-dom like hypo, and a recessive like albino, to make the pearl stuff), just as an example

Old 04-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
reticguy76
**single**

Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
HatRabbitSnakes
One other thing I would like to bring up is that in twenty years the genetic diversity of this species within a given state is going to run low if only three or four people keep breeding them in each state. There will be a need in ten to thirty years for normal healthy animals to outcross to and keep things a lil less inbred with.....so breeding even normals once in there lifetime could be helpful to the longevity of people keeping these snakes in captivity for 100's of years versus 50. At least if we keep on becoming a police state here in the US....

Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Lord

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!