is my burm ready for rabbits? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
yourbeat
is my burm ready for rabbits?

im not exactly sure how old the snake is bc i rescued it from some idiot on craigs list, its had bad skin problems and other issues but he has come a longggg way since then and is nice and healthy.

hes 8ft on the conservative side he was almost completely stretched out next to a tape measure and was at the 8 ft mark so i would say 8 ft and a few inches, hes about 10-11 inches in girth.

my local pet store has "jumbo" rats that he devours with no problem, you cant even see a bump in him after eating the "jumbo". and within a day or 2 at most hes slithering around like hes already needing to eat. now i realize they have monster appetites so i dont feed him more then 1 of these jumbos in a week but i think its a little under sized for him. i dont have anywhere near me that sells Gpigs or feeder rabbits for that matter but if i had to buy a "pet" gpig or rabbit i would do it. im just not sure if he is of a big enough size to pound something that big.

the gpigs they have dont seem much bigger they just have more fur. so for a burm of his size listed above. what do you think i should give him to better fit his appetite and needs?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
reticguy76
big boids (retics, burms, rocks) are ready for rabbits from their first meal. when captive burms are ready for rabbits depends on when and what size you can in rabbits. if you can get newborn rabbits pinks, then hatchlings are ready from their first meal. if you cant get rabbits until the rabbits are a pound, generally they need to be at least 4-5 feet or so. if you cant get rabbits till they are 3 or 4 pounds, they need to be 7-8 feet or so, and so on. but they are always able to eat rabbits from their first meal

but, at 8 feet or so, at least 3 pound rabbits are good, if not up to 4 pounders or so

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
yourbeat
I was hoping you would pop on here, you helped me last time i posted regarding his weirs foldy skin. Alright sounds like I need to find some 3-4 pound rabbits for this guy. Finding the rabbits may be the tricky part.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
reticguy76
go to craigslist in your area and look at the farm and garden section (and even the pets section), thats how i found my show rabbit breeder

Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
yourbeat
did you tell them what it was for and they didnt care or?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
reticguy76
mine didnt care at all. she is a professional rabbit shower. if the rabbits dont have the color, or the attitude, or anything that will not make the show, she would just keep them and use them as meat for her family and pets. i help her keep her freezer somewhat empty and she makes a little money.

most breeders (especially bigger breeders, that have 30 or 40 litters every month), will not care what they are used for. mine are already frozen, which is a great thing

Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
yourbeat
im having no luck finding a breeder near me so ill have to figure something else out i guess.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
reticguy76
that sucks. it took me awhile of just glancing daily through craigslist. you could also post on craigslist and see if you get responses

Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
JColt
Here is a listing of about 10 breeders for meat rabbits in Pennsylvania.
Scroll down

http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/rrrbrdusa.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!