Anyone used bathroom ceiling heater for incubation closet? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
airtight_python
Anyone used bathroom ceiling heater for incubation closet?

I'm curious as to how well one would work out with heating a small to mid sized closet when wired to a herpstat or similar.

Ones I find are generally 800 to 1250 watts so I would think that would be sufficient? They've a built in fan. Perhaps another fan in the closet for circulation would help to keep temperatures more even.

They would take up much less space (that could be used for eggs) than an oil heater, that's for sure. Cost of operation vs an oil heater, probably about the same?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
airtight_python
bump.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Durante
I'm more into boas so I don't know much about egg incubation but a small to mid sized closet seems like a lot of space to keep at a steady temp but I guess the space needed depends on how many eggs you have. It sounds like a decent idea but I'm not sure you could leave a bathroom ceiling heater on for long extended periods of time. I use a heat panel i got from boamaster.com to keep my enclosures at the temps I want, maybe you could use one of them. I honestly don't know much about egg birth etc but just figured I would throw it out an idea that may give you more option or whatever. Either way Best of luck, keep me posted on what you decide I'd like to see how everything turns out.

http://boamaster.com/products/120w_Heat_Panel-11-1.html

Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
airtight_python
Thanks Chris. I see many of the larger breeders using pretty good sized closets to incubate their eggs. They use oil heaters and I thought the bathroom heaters could possibly be a space saving solution, although probably more fluctuation in temps.

My thoughts were, while I am at it that I would build an incubation closet to somewhat future proof myself. However, my plans have changed and at the moment I'm sure I can get by just fine converting an old upright freezer into an incubator.

While on that subject, how many feet of the 11" flexwatt would be required to heat an old upright freezer as such? The temperature of the room housing the incubator will be 72 to 84 degrees dependant upon season.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Durante
check out this. http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml I believe its a step by step instructions to setting up an incubator exactly like your talking about using a stand up freezer & heat tape. Hope it helps.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
airtight_python
Exactly what I needed. Looks like 4 foot of 11" tape will handle it. Appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Durante
yep, hope it works out good. Post a few photos of your finished product if you get around to it.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
kandicke
For calculating flexwatt (or other heat source) amount, you generally want 10 to 15 watts per cubic foot for every 20 degree rise you're hoping to achieve. This will allow for a 20 degree difference between the inside of the incubator and the room temperature without creating hot spots inside. Speaking of hot spots....you want to find a fan that will put out 5-10 cfm per cubic foot of incubator otherwise you won't get complete air cycling. Since your ambient room temp is pretty high, go with the 10w/cf ratio....and if your incubator is well sealed and insulated, you can probably bump it down a bit more (around 8). You won't have to run your flexwatt at full heat then to get your desired temperature. The average full-size upright freezer is around 15 cubic feet, so you really should use quite a bit of flexwatt to heat if evenly and efficiently (and safely).

Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
airtight_python
Well fellas, got 'er done.

I used 8ft of 11", 20 watt fexwatt and two 120mm PC fans. It holds temperature to .2 degrees and seems to be evenly heated. I may add another fan. When it starts filling up it may need it.

With the Herpstat original it holds temp to .2 degrees when left closed. When opened for a moment it will rise up to about 90 degrees before lowering back to set temp of 88.5. Underneath where the compressor was, I secured a battery back-up system that will sound an alarm in case the power is to get shut off.

The only things I had to buy were the flexwatt and thermostat.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!