barrs cages - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 06-02-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
mark5019
Talking barrs cages

i recently purchased a 2 foot barrs cage, let me say this its the best cage in my opinion easy to set up, clean acsess snakes ect.
i found the owner helpfull and honest.

mark gilbert

Old 08-18-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
Please post a link to their web site so I can get more info. Yhanks

Best regards,
GlennB

Old 08-18-2003, 11:29 PM   #3
mark5019
barrs

http://www.barrs.com/

Old 08-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Another good plastic cage is those from Precision Caging at http://www.precisioncaging.com/

I'm not one to buy commercial cages. I have always built my own. This year however I have gotten into a situation where I need a good number of new cages and simply don't have the time to build them all.
On the recommendation of a friend I decided to buy a couple of the precision cages to test out. I have been really pleased with them so far.
I have looked at Barrs cages at shows and they are very similar in construction and design, but I personally prefer the precision cages for my use.

Precision offers more sizes and the clear hinges and door pulls make them a little better looking cage.
Both companies make a 24x12x12 cage (precision's is actually 13.25 high) for the same price, but Precision's includes a built in light fixture. I don't use the ones that small, and that was also a deciding factor for me. I prefer the 20" deep models, and Barrs doesn't list this size.
I'm also not fond of "Herpcages.com" drilled into the back of Barrs cages as a vent. It may just be me, but I think it looks tacky, and my collection isn't a billboard for his advertising.

The only drawback on buying from precision is the lead time. It usually takes 10-14 days to get the cages, because they are apparently not built and on hand for shipping, but rather built when you order them. I can understand a small enterprise not being able to tie up a lot of capital in inventory though, and I try to allow for that when I order.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Pug
What are the best plastic/acrylic cages on the market? I'd be putting a bearded dragon in it, so I'd need a vent for lighting and heating. I think the precisions are allright, but I'd like a bit more depth. I currently have an arboreal one, but the light fixture isnt really secure, since its glued on. Neodesha cages are being built once again, but they are really expensive.

http://reptile-cages.com/index.php

I really cant find decent reviews, other than the "I like them" or "I hate them". Any help would be appreciated.

I put this here rather than start a new topic because it kind of fits this one already, I think

Old 08-25-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
The only fault I would have with putting a dragon in any cage with acrylic would be the scratching. Many of the plastic cages have acrylic doors as well.
I housed one dragon for a short time in an empty snake cage while I finished another enclosure. The cage had an acrylic door. The dragon scratched the door so badly it became "smoky" looking and difficult to see through.
Given the cost of any of the plastic cages on the market, I wouldn't use one for a dragon unless the doors were glass.

I agree with the width of the precision cages. I'm sure there is a reason, either design or shipping considerations, that he makes them all 20". I just can't figure out what it is exactly.
A similar issue exists with the 48" cages. These are only 13.25" tall. For this reason I wouldn't consider using 48" precisions myself. I like more height in a cage that size.

For dragons, I always built my own enclosures. I've found that is the best way to suit my needs.

Old 02-14-2004, 11:26 PM   #7
cyberfrog
I have 5 Barrs cages, and will be getting more. There are awesome.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
Mark and Aimee
We are currently using 12 Barr's cages (12 x 12 x 24) for Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, and some baby snakes. We are very pleased with them, and will probably end up purchasing another 12.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #9
JeffG
I agree, Doug makes some of the best and most affordable cages on the market! My ciliatus love em!

Old 10-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Another good plastic cage is those from Precision Caging at http://www.precisioncaging.com/

I'm not one to buy commercial cages. I have always built my own. This year however I have gotten into a situation where I need a good number of new cages and simply don't have the time to build them all.
On the recommendation of a friend I decided to buy a couple of the precision cages to test out. I have been really pleased with them so far.
I have looked at Barrs cages at shows and they are very similar in construction and design, but I personally prefer the precision cages for my use.

Precision offers more sizes and the clear hinges and door pulls make them a little better looking cage.
Both companies make a 24x12x12 cage (precision's is actually 13.25 high) for the same price, but Precision's includes a built in light fixture. I don't use the ones that small, and that was also a deciding factor for me. I prefer the 20" deep models, and Barrs doesn't list this size.
I'm also not fond of "Herpcages.com" drilled into the back of Barrs cages as a vent. It may just be me, but I think it looks tacky, and my collection isn't a billboard for his advertising.

The only drawback on buying from precision is the lead time. It usually takes 10-14 days to get the cages, because they are apparently not built and on hand for shipping, but rather built when you order them. I can understand a small enterprise not being able to tie up a lot of capital in inventory though, and I try to allow for that when I order.

I agree. I have one of each . Precision you can get 20 inches depth while barrs unless you order the extra large type is 12 inches depth and thats a big difference.
However Barrs you can get with top vent/screen while Precision only has built in light socket and some dont want the bulb in direct contact with snake. I use only a 10 watt bulb due to this but it certainly lights the cage well but no big deal as far as heat goes due to only 10 watts.
You can use a bulb guard but in a 13 inch high cage its an eye sore. Both hold heat well (I use cobra heat pads on both).
Both are well made . I am not bothered by the herpcage slogan but I can see how some might be. I wish precision made them with vent ontop for bulb/light instead of in cage and I wish barrs made them 20 inches deep lol.
The Barrs cage is 24 inches by 12 and thats for a scarlet king the precision is 24 by 20 and thats for a Ruthven king both snakes happy in their cages room wise and would buy either type again .
Luis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!