Square tails? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
OrganicBoas
Square tails?

A bit ago on Kingsnake I saw a post about square tails. I went to the site but can't remember where it was or who it was who's breading them. They were claimed to be a combination of ladder tail/arabesque/pastelish (without the spotting normally seen with arabesques). Anyone know more about these guys and their possibilities? Is it a combination of genetic co-dominant traits or a single trait that makes them this way?

- Damian

Old 03-09-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
OrganicBoas

Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
Art Klass
That is truely a spectacular boa!! Is it yours? Damn that's nice.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
ericfire
Question

sure is
so what do you think art morph or selective
i would want to say selective breeding

Old 03-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
wcreptiles
Peter Kahl is selling hets for square tail boas, on a page dated 6/20/2005.

http://www.pkreptiles.com/available/...e&ord=ASC&nam=

Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
wcreptiles
The 6/20/2005 was actually a DOB, the webpage is from 2006 so it's current. I need to slow down.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Art Klass
Quote:
sure is
so what do you think art morph or selective
i would want to say selective breeding
Eric,
It's definately genetic. Kahl is selling hets for $500. How's that for riding the fence? I'd love to have one... or four.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
ericfire
Unhappy books on morphs

clearly i need to hit the books on boa morphs
what is a good book that determines morph or not

and how do you determine if a pattern or coloration is a morph and not a just
coincidences
the more you learn the more you realize you dont know squat
thanks for the help
Eric

i did find kingsnakes guide to boa morphs ,but i have not had a chance to look at it yet
it should help

Old 03-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
OrganicBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfire
clearly i need to hit the books on boa morphs
what is a good book that determines morph or not

and how do you determine if a pattern or coloration is a morph and not a just
coincidences

i did find kingsnakes guide to boa morphs ,but i have not had a chance to look at it yet
it should help
I'm not an expert...so with a grain of salt: One of the ways to tell- breed the snake to a non-sibling and see if the variation shows up in the young (would then be considered a co-dominant trait). If the trait didn't show up you could breed the young together to find out if it's a recessive trait. If you start with snakes which are siblings and have the same variation, it would be a different story unless you knew what their lineage was. Somebody I'm sure could add much more...

Honestly the kingsnake one is way out of date. I suggested a re-vamping in the boa forum. But it didn't happen. Here is a better one.

http://www.classreptilia.com/boa_morphs.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Klass
That is truely a spectacular boa!! Is it yours? Damn that's nice.
I wish.... It's sweet!! I found it at albinoboas.com. I think it is a german or dutch? The way he described it was as a recessive trait... But this is completely different than the arabesques which is co-dominant (right?) Or possibly it just doesn't show up in the co-dominant form, and the "hets" look like normals?

And what about it being pastelish too? I'm just wondering if it's a couple seperate traits or one trait (the squaretail trait laughing) that's making it this way. The F2's are supposedly on the way.

Also..Somehow I find it strange kahl is selling het's for these traits for $500. An arabesque goes for a 1500+ let alone what these squaretails have in addition. Not doubting him...Just wondering at the low price.

- Damian

Old 03-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #10
OrganicBoas
Also, somebody correct me on my bungling of genetics explanation to eric. There's probably other possibilities I didn't mention.

- Damian

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!