other gecks? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
lizardsister2
Question other gecks?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my sister and I are breeding cresteds and leos. I think those are a pretty typical starting point because they're relatively cheap to acquire, have lots of variation, and can be handled, kept, and bred pretty darn easily. Now if this season goes well *crosses fingers* we will be wanting to branch out, but of course we're still beginners so we don't want to get too far out of our element. What are some other gecko species that you have found to be interesting and challenging but still fairly easy to work with? What's the next logical step, I mean other than spend all disposable and most indisposable income on my creepy new reptile hobby? I pretty much have that step down.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
USAGECKOS
Fat Tail Geckos are a great next step. They have pretty much the same care as a Leopard, but need to be a little more moist. And, sexing is a little harder, males and female both get bulges, so you have to sex them by viewing their pre-anal pores.

When incubating, it is a little harder to incubate for sex, males are a little harder to breed. Just because you incubate them at a hight temp, doesn't always mean that you are going to get males, etc.

You can check out my Fat Tail Care Sheet for more info:

Fat TailCare Sheet

Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Junkyard
Tokay, there is a different kind of gecko for you. They are not expensive and beautiful animals. As cool as mine are, keeping them is easy, holding them can be the challenge. Of the three I own, only one will let me touch her, the male does a great job at bitting and drawing blood.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
I have 6 Nephrurus levis levis (Smooth Knobtail Geckos) and a colony of Coleonyx variegatus (Banded Geckos) that I adore! The Bandeds are just like little miniature leos in their care and behavior, and the Knobtails are just so darned cute and quite easy to raise.

Here's pics of 2 of my Bandeds and one of my Knobtails:
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
lizardsister2
The bandeds are cute. I've always loved the look of the knob tailed geckos, but they're just so expensive. I may be a ways off from being able to afford any significant collection of them. To give you an idea I'm currently a senior social work student/intern, so I'm paying tuition for the privilege of working for free 8 hours a day. Plus I'll be in grad school next year, so same story, second verse same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse. Of course after that I'll be working as a social worker so all the dough will just come rolling in.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
USAGECKOS
Those Banded are cool! Whan do you thhink you will have babies available?

Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
lizardsister2
I'd like to ask the same thing actually. I'd definitely be interested in taking some off your hands.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!