What constitutes "bona fide research and educational purposes?" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
PaulSage
What constitutes "bona fide research and educational purposes?"

I've been wondering about this for a while now, and my searches here haven't turned anything up. I know the law for turtles under 4" is that they are for research and educational purposes, but what exactly does it take for that to apply? I was at a show/swap recently, and noticed that vendors selling baby turtles had a sign-up sheet that said, "I agree that turtles under 4" in length are for educational and research purposes." or something like that. There had to have been 30+ names signed on the sheet. Something makes me think that research scientists and biology professors don't go looking at a reptile swap for their specimens... especially 30 of them.

What I would like to know is whether or not anyone has had their claim for research/educational purposes denied. For example, if I'm studying chelonians in my biology class, is that a "bona fide" purpose? What if I'm writing a book about the captive care of leopard tortoises? Would that justify my possession of hatchling G. pardalis?

I know what the law states, and I know why it was enacted; I am just curious as to people's experiences with interpretations of the law. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
sschind
Well Paul, This isn't going to help you much but I would say that research or educational purposes is something that 99% of the turtles under 4" are not sold for.

Steve

Old 06-14-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind
Well Paul, This isn't going to help you much but I would say that research or educational purposes is something that 99% of the turtles under 4" are not sold for.

Steve
Steve, that's pretty much what I'm thinking, I guess I'm just curious as to how strictly this law is enforced. I know it seems that they keep pretty close tabs on pet stores (around here, anyway) but if I buy a baby sulcatta or something, do I need to live in fear of the authorities busting down my door and confiscating my entire collection? If they're worried about me getting salmonella from a <4" turtle, they should turn their attention back to the restaurant where I actually DID get salmonella poisoning from.

When I'm working with my animals, I'm honestly washing my hands AT LEAST every 1/2 hour... more often if I'm feeding. Even though I always wash my hands before eating ANYWHERE (seriously, I think I'm two steps away from being clinically OCD...) I have no control over the sanitation practices at restaurants. When I spoke with the health dept. after my near-death run in with salmonella poisoning last year, they told me that they don't investigate until they have MULTIPLE reports from the same establishment within a certain time-frame. That to me is absurd.

The 4" thing is bull. Any reptile (as far as I understand) can carry and transmit salmonella. Sure, the law was originally made to protect kids from putting baby turtles in their mouths or whatever, but I think a little education and PARENTAL SUPERVISION would yield much better results.

Sorry, I know I got off on a ranting tangent. It's just that if there's going to be such laws (especially against the reptile community... I know I'm biased) there should be clearer descriptions and regulated enforcement.

I'm going to bed.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
WebSlave

My wife and I have commented on this at several of the shows we have done in the past. We would see some kids buying baby turtles from a vendor and make the comment "Geez! Scientists are getting younger every year, aren't they?"

Old 06-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
PARENTAL SUPERVISION
Is this a new movement that hasn't quite caught on yet.

Its a little better for me now that the tanning salon/nails place moved away from next door. Not many people drag their kids to a physical therapy session. Before I was beginning to think I might need a day care license.

Where did you see the notice with the signatures. The only swap I am familiar with in our area is Lee's and I have never seen a sign up sheet. Was it at the Madison one. I wouldn't know because I will never attend that show as a vendor or a customer.

Steve

P.S. Webslave, thanks for the spell check

Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
Jim O
Does "I want to see how long it takes my kid to kill the turtle" constitute "bona fide research and educational purposes"?

Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
critical bill
I sell turtles under 4" occasionally and I was told by PA FGW that its not required of me to prove who is or isnt a bona fide educator or scientist. I am required to keep all documentation on any person claiming to be an educator purchsing any turtle under 4" and I am required prior to purchase and at time of sale to inform the customer that turtles under 4" are for educational purposes only. I also ask that the customer agree in writing, by email if not in person, that they are purchasing a turtle under 4" for the sole purpose of education and that they are an educator.

I dont worry to much about Salmonella, it his brother Vinnymonella that worries me.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
critical bill
Quote:
When I spoke with the health dept. after my near-death run in with salmonella poisoning last year,
I apologize for making a joke of Salmonella in my previous post. I missed this part you posted completely and do not wish you to think your near-death experience is a joke to me.

I've had Salmonella poisoning and while I did not come anywhere near to actually dying......I would have welcomed death at the time. I rank that experience right up there with shingles.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
PaulSage
Chuck, thanks much for the information.

Am I the only one who finds a little irony in the fact that educators are allowed to keep baby turtles? In kindergarten classrooms perhaps? Doesn't that put a class of 28 6-year-olds in the immediate vicinity of such a dangerous pathogen?!?

Okay, I'll bite... I have no idea what's behind the "Vinnymonella" joke...

Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
critical bill
Quote:
Chuck, thanks much for the information.
NP. I should also add that I received just about the same information from the NYS FGW as well.

Quote:
Doesn't that put a class of 28 6-year-olds in the immediate vicinity of such a dangerous pathogen?!?
It can, but thats assuming the children would be handling the turtle. Safe education can be achieved solely through observation and some careful handling by the educator. I cant think of any way a 6 year old student would be in immediate danger unless they were in actual contact with the turtle.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!