Recommend me a camera, please? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
ecmorrell
Recommend me a camera, please?

I don't need a bazillion pixels, in fact, I don't want to have to fool around with resizing the pictures at all. I want to spend as little as possible to have a camera that will reliably take small pictures of my herps to post on my website and so on. I don't know anything about cameras, please advise!

Old 06-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Mark and Aimee
Buy whatever camera fits your budget, and set it on the lowest possible resolution/photo size. You're looking for 600x800 or less.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Chris@TSE
sony cybershot f707, great point and shoot camera. you can get one on ebay reasonably priced. just sold ours a few days ago there....

Old 06-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
ecmorrell
Great, thanks!

Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
hhmoore
I had been using one of the Olympus D-series (sorry, I don't remember which one...I only had it about 6 months, rarely used it). It is a 4 megapixel, with macro capabilities. right now, they are selling for $120-180 on ebay (the cheaper being factory reconditioned). I think there may be some used ones for sale also. I would sell mine, but I think my wife just claimed it. here are some links to photos I took with it: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=68965
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=68693

Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
hhmoore
If you want to go closer to $300, I just bought an Olympus 5500 (already had the olympus stuff on my computer, so it was easiest to stay with them). These are from the new camera (the 2nd pic is a little off, but that was my fault)
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=69254

Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Chris@TSE
Here are some photos taken with the sony cyber shot 707 i mentioned... I've used olympus, canon, nikon, fugi, and sony models..... Out of all the point and shoot models it was the easiest to use. Cool swivel feature for the lens movement from the body.... 10x zoom, and about every option including manual modes you could need if you wanted... When I purchased it about 6 or 7 months ago I paid nearly $500, they were still selling retail for about $900 and change. Last I checked you can grab them on ebay between $200 and $300.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
hhmoore
I will happily defer to Chris' experience regarding ease of use - the Olympus I mentioned was only my second digital (the first was a hand-me-down Vivitar). Since you are talking about posting photos on your website. I will recommend that you go with at least a 3 megapixel, just for the photo quality. Less than that and you will probably be unhappy with the results. I would also suggest something that has macro capabilities (super macro is NICE, though - one of the reasons I bought my new one). Other than that, it's like Mark & Aimee said: buy what you can afford (or are willing to spend) that has the capabilities you want...stick with the name brands, though. Ebay has all sorts of stuff available at less than retail - just weigh shipping costs vs sales tax, it might be worth a trip to WalMart. good luck in your decision & post some pics when you get it!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #9
Chris@TSE
The olympus I used was quite an easy camera to operate, I just was not too fond of the quality of the photos it took. I'm sure the newer models are much better. I liked the sony primarily because it shoved all the options you could possibly want into an easy to operate format, not to mention 5 megapixels certainly help those photos look grand

For the price they are asking for used models on ebay you can't go wrong. If I did not purchase my nikon d70 you can certainly bet I would have stuck with the sony 707. I still miss it for numerous reasons, especially since the digital slrs dont use the read lcd as a viewfinder like you can with the sony, olympus, and other digi models.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmorrell
I don't need a bazillion pixels, in fact, I don't want to have to fool around with resizing the pictures at all. I want to spend as little as possible to have a camera that will reliably take small pictures of my herps to post on my website and so on. I don't know anything about cameras, please advise!
I don't know much about cameras as well.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased the Olympus IR-300. It’s a 5 Megapixel. I am happy with the quality of pictures. I haven't tried to load any pictures on any site yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!