What thermostats do you use and recommend? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Herpcam
What thermostats do you use and recommend?

I'm looking to get a thermostat for one or both of my racks and was wondering what everyone here uses. I'm looking at a few of them, mostly proportional, because the racks all use heat tape. I've seen Johnson's and Ranco's mentioned, but they are on/off thermostats, which I was told wasn't as good for heat tape. I'm looking for the most reliable, safest stat I can get to (hopefully) run both racks.

What are your experiences/opinions on these ones?

Big Apple Herp Power Proportional - $119.95 w/included night drop

Habitat Control Systems 4 Zone model - $249 w/lots and lots of features and FOUR controls, but only 250w per

Spyder HerpStat II - $239 Looks like lots of bling, but only two controls of 700w each and hasn't been on the market for long

Helix DBS-1000 - $129.99 one control at 500w, but LLLReptile says they're the best on the market

Thanks for all your help

Old 07-30-2005, 12:51 AM   #2
Blazin
Well I have been using the Reptimed 500r's for a few years with no problems. I recently however just ordered a Johnson from Matt with a built in power stip. Should be a step up for myself. If I were you I'd go with the Helix though! I'm sometimes a cheap scate. Still have thousands of dollars worth of animals in Hovabators!

Old 07-30-2005, 01:33 AM   #3
hhmoore
The 500Rs are just a 2 outlet rheostat, not a thermostat. I'm not knocking them (I still have several in use), but one has to be aware of the problems - Mainly, the fact that variations in room temp will impact cage temps. If it is a temp controlled room, you'lll be ok, otherwise you need to readjust them to keep consistent temps.

You could always go with the original HerpStat. proportional, 3 outllets, 500 watt capacity...for about $20-25 less than a Helix. I have a couple of these, and plan on purchasing a fw more soon.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
shrap
The only one on your list that I have personally used is the Helix. So I can not comment on the others.

With that being said I am really happy with the Helix. I use it on my incubator and have never had a problem in any way with it.

I have Rancos on all of my enclosures and racks. Except a couple of aquariums which are still on Alifes.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:11 AM   #5
DeVackHerps
i dont have any of those ones or any one yet, but from what ive heard from alot of people is that herpstat and helix are the best ones out there right now

Old 07-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #6
brucestephenson
Helix DBS-1000

I have proven to myself, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that Helix DBS-1000 thermostats are the best on the market. I own seven of them at this time.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
SFgeckos
i use

i use ranco and helix, i would recommend either one...i've been using them for years and they are both very reliable
price wise rancos are a bit cheaper than helix

-jon

Old 07-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
wcreptiles
I am using three of the four you mention. Here is my opinion for what it’s worth.

Big Apple Herp Power Proportional – I currently control a Boaphile “Ball Room Rack” with it and it does a fine job. I have used it off and on for a couple years in other cages without a problem. I have used the night drop feature and it works well, you have to calibrate the night drop knob because there are no markings. The only drawback (IMO) is that the dial is analog and you could accidentally bump the knob and turn the heat up or down without knowing. The main dial is calibrated pretty close but not nearly as accurate as a digital controller (Helix, Johnson, etc). Night drop cord include free.

Habitat Control Systems 4 Zone Model – I have the model with the photocell for night drop, more on that later. I control four Boaphile 321D cages and it has worked flawlessly for the past year and a half. I have a Habitat System on order with the clock for night drop to replace the photocell model I have now. If you have four cages or racks stacked together and can use this controller I recommend the controller. I’m assuming the clocked version works as well as the photocell version they look the same. The 250w isn’t an issue for me because I don’t control more than one rack or one cage per controller. I never wanted the heat to turn off with my lights so I didn’t use the photo-night drop, I turned the power off to the entire unit and that seemed to work ok for me.

Helix DBS-1000 – I control two shoebox racks and an incubator with DBS-1000’s, not the same one but three different ones. These IMO are the best. They set easy, are digital and continually show the temperature. The controller will turn off the heat if there is a problem with the probe or controller. The night drop cord is $30 so if you plan on getting very many it would cost you a few bucks. I have access to a telephone cord crimp tool so I would buy one night drop cord and make the rest.

I control a Boaphile Poly Rack with a Ranco and it has been working fine for a couple years. I don’t think I have over a few degree fluctuations in temperature. I don’t know why on/off isn’t any good for heat tape.

I control my snake room with a Johnson controller and it does a great job for the $75 or so it cost. So if you’re looking for a room controller try the Johnson, it will control 1500w.

Since you only want to get one or two units I suggest going with the Helix DBS-1000, it is the Cadillac of controllers. I’m betting the majority will recommend the Helix. If you do have four cages or racks within probes reach of each other I’m sure you would be happy with the Habitat, plus you would save around $260 over four DBS-1000’s.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
Blazin
Quote:
The 500Rs are just a 2 outlet rheostat, not a thermostat. I'm not knocking them (I still have several in use), but one has to be aware of the problems
Ah the 500 I am talking about had a temperature probe and functioned in conjunction with digital thermometers extremely well! I never had a problem with big temp flucts or anything in my racks.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
NateDiggity
Big Apple

I use a Big Apple for my Green Tree Python and it does an awesome job. Quality unit at a great price with nightdrop, which also works well. I feel you will get everything you need in the Big Apple.

Just my 2 cents

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!