Hello Big Brother - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Hello Big Brother

I remember years ago rumors about people getting microchipped (hey, you can just scan your arm instead of using an ATM card)... now it's eye scanners (hey, you can just scan your eye instead of using an ATM card, isn't it great?!)

Well Hello Big Brother. Goodbye Freedom.

According to the story they are already getting ready to roll this out in a city in Mexico.

some of the more interesting quotes from the story:
"To implement the system, the city is creating a database of irises. Criminals will automatically be enrolled, their irises scanned once convicted. Law-abiding citizens will have the option to opt-in. "

"And he has a warning for those thinking of opting out: "When you get masses of people opting-in, opting out does not help. Opting out actually puts more of a flag on you than just being part of the system. We believe everyone will opt-in.""

"Not even the "dead eyeballs" seen in Minority Report could trick the system, he says." (but they don't explain why it wouldn't work, also doesn't metion if or how contact lenses or sunglasses would affect it)

here is the link to the full story
http://www.fastcompany.com/1683302/i...tner=yahoobuzz

"IF YOU GIVE UP FREEDOM FOR PROTECTION... YOU GET NEITHER"

Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
DAND
Getting chipped is like getting yourself lowjacked. What's next, you push your navel and OnStar will answer?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Melinda
I don't think I would mind it. I could carry way less plastic and maybe it would be harder for people to put fraudulant charges on my accounts.

I was considering chipping my kid. When you don't know where they are and are frantic, it would be a sanity saver to be able to find them. I remember they would have the option of having the chip removed when they turned 18.

I do believe for law abiding citizens it should not be mandatory. But lowjack/chip every gangmember, pedofile, rapist etc.....

Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
garweft
Pupils don't dilate on a dead person....

The iris scanner can vary the light and check for pupil dilation as part of the scanning sequence.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I don't think I would mind it. I could carry way less plastic and maybe it would be harder for people to put fraudulant charges on my accounts.

I was considering chipping my kid. When you don't know where they are and are frantic, it would be a sanity saver to be able to find them. I remember they would have the option of having the chip removed when they turned 18.

I do believe for law abiding citizens it should not be mandatory. But lowjack/chip every gangmember, pedofile, rapist etc.....
With that sort of law in effect, the government would just find ways to make EVERYONE qualify to be chipped. The category that defines "law abiding citizen" would just get smaller and smaller until eventually NO one would qualify any longer. Just like felony crimes have ratcheted down to include such mundane things as trespassing on a construction site or stealing a fire extinguisher from a motel.

But you know how they would be able to be a large proportion of voluntary compliance for something like this? Really simple, actually. Make it an embedded cell phone link of some sort. Absolutely hands free. No more geeky looking contraption wrapped around your ear. And then when you have ringing in your ears, you can answer it. People would be waiting in long lines to get this done.... Of course, it would help if technology gets it small enough so that it's not like surgically grafting a walnut into your scalp. But heck, even then, I bet a LOT of people would still go for it.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
With that sort of law in effect, the government would just find ways to make EVERYONE qualify to be chipped. The category that defines "law abiding citizen" would just get smaller and smaller until eventually NO one would qualify any longer.
Yep, roll through that STOP sign again and you'll be getting chipped.

As for chipping those with criminal records, it's not like the chip couldn't be removed. Who is to say that ex-con Bubba doesn't remove the chip and have it implanted into his pit bull Fluffy?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
Pupils don't dilate on a dead person....
Ack! I didn't even think of that! good point.

The thing that's scary about this is they've already moved beyond chips and now it's just scanning eyes, so you'll be in the database regardless if you 'opt out', they can still track you.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Melinda
Quote:
As for chipping those with criminal records, it's not like the chip couldn't be removed. Who is to say that ex-con Bubba doesn't remove the chip and have it implanted into his pit bull Fluffy?
Good point. I guess they could make it part of parole. Get your chip scanned frequently by your parole officer and if it's missing, back to prison with you. And only for violent offenses, not the little stuff.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
WebSlave
Heck, a whole new underground marketplace will open up. Want to be the local bank president? Here's the chip for that. Or just want a pocket device to scramble, neutralize, or make your chip spoof as someone else? Here ya go....

Of course there will be websites with all the codes for people it would be desirable to have a chip for, and kits to roll your own. All illegal, of course, but since when has that stopped anyone when there is money to be made?

Which, of course, will cause the entire system to become worthless in pretty short order.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Getting chipped is like getting yourself lowjacked.
I recently watched a documentary (Manda Bala - Send a Bullet) where they mentioned microchip implants as being part of an entire industry which revolves specifically around the prevention of kidnappings (in Brazil). From Transport via Helicopters (the only "safe" place is above the crime)...to bulletproofing cars...to defensive driving courses.

Anyway...they also mentioned being microchipped. The only purpose of this would be so that a security company can track your every move. If you go MIA...they send out the calvary. One loses privacy with this (obviously) but many seem to welcome the trade-off (privacy vs security). Someone being interviewed even mentioned he wanted more than one such implant (when/if they become available). This way if one security company is incompetent...he'll have a back-up to rely on.

But yea...having this available as a security option is one thing...but implementing it as a mandatory to keep tabs on people, is another.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!