Looking For Raccoon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
hishotrod481
Red face Looking For Raccoon

LOOKING FOR A BABIE RACCOON IN NC IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-15-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Nichalia
Raccoons!

I think NC is fairly lax with their laws, but I would first check to see what licenses you need to lawfully keep (or import from another state) a raccoon. I personally don't give one whit about laws... but you'll quickly find that keeping one legally is less of a headache. Especially when you need to take him to a vet. Oi.

You also need to be truly, truly sure you are prepared to devote your life to a smart-mouthed, spoiled little mischief-maker. They are ADORABLE as babies, but at around 8 months they get hard to control because of the whole mating season thing. It's a very serious issue, and you need to be truly sure you're prepared. Even if you have him spayed/neutered, he's still going to be unhappy and unruly during mating season.

You also want to go ahead and get vaccinated for rabies. And you need to find a vet in your area that will vaccinate your raccoon. They need feline distemper (6wks-ish), they need to be dewormed a couple times a year, and at around 12 weeks they need a rabies vaccine (MUST be a killed vaccine) and even then there's no gurantee that the little thing won't be a carrier.

They are spoiled (and wonderful) and they'll want a nice comfy setup (preferably a little room just for them) with lots of toys (LOTS) and pillows and blankets and things to climb on.

If you're intent on getting one, you'll want to be sure to get one that's not been weaned yet. (They are weaned around 8 weeks). Also, it's best if it comes from parents that were also captive born and bred. Raccoons can be born as rabies carriers, and can carry the virus for up to 5 years. You want to take every precaution you can.

If you are still interested, there are multiple places to get raccoons. One site that's full of babies as well as information is www.ratkateersrodentry.com There are a billion other sites, though. I'm not promoting that one site... it's just the only name I can remember offhand.

I know of a couple raccoons available here in South Carolina. Email me if you're still interested.

Happy coon-lovin!
Nichalia
(OraNechama@yahoo.com or Nichalia101@yahoo.com)

Old 07-23-2004, 03:25 AM   #3
groomer1973
baby coons

OMG raccoons nor any other animals is a born carrier of rabies. raccoons just like any other mammal has to be bitten by a RABID animal to contract rabies!!! even then the coon has to survive the attack. please get your facts together. and on worming it has to be done more than two times a year. Do you know the life cycle of a roundworm???? if you keep a coon as a pet you must worm him every month to kill the eggs also. and keep worming regularly.
ask melonie at ratkateersrodentry...thats where i bought my baby coonie

Old 07-23-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
AwesomePossums
Um... Actually animals can be born carriers of rabies if their mother has it... But the whole they can be carriers for "up to 5 years" thing I don't get... If an animal has rabies, it either does or it doesn't. It's not like it will go away, unless the animal dies that is... Also, most captive animals you only need in worm twice a year UNLESS you have other animals of the same species around it, allow it outside, transport it, or bring another another animal into your home.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
groomer1973
didn't mean to come off so strong. but alot of people think that raccoons and other animals are carriers, and can be for up to 5 years. I personally do not agree. i dont beleive it is passed on from mother to all her babies. That would be like if i had rabies, so would my baby. i just dont beleive it is true. i beleive you must be bitten by a rabid animals to get rabies. and raccoons can get tapeworms,hookworms,roundworms, even heart and lung worms. Therefore more than twice a year is highly recommended.
unless you and your coon are in total isolation. I can carry in eggs on my shoes which can later be transferred to the coon. one mosquito bite could lead to heartworms, therefore a monthy preventative must be given, and tapeworms, just have coonie eat one little flea, thats all it takes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread