Vote***financing Fauna***vote - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
shrap
I think the BOI and the other forums should remain free. I think there should be a $25 to $50 a year fee to advertise in the classifieds section. With that fee you should get a symbol similar to that of the current "Contributor Symbol" (which would still be a part of the $25 to $50 yearly fee) that you can post on your website. "Member of the Fauna Classifieds Better Business Bureau", or something to that effect. That symbol should link back here to Fauna for authentication and will link to that persons seller rating page. Rich could also throw in some other bells and whistles as he sees fit.

I think a solution along those lines would keep the BOI as it is intended to be and would allow the info/education/entertainment forums to remain open to the public as a service to the herp community. That way those who just wish to support this site and those who advertise in the classifieds and profit from this site will help foot the bill.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I still feel very strongly that the BOI and other forums should be free of charge.
I agree with Kelli. And I vote no basic membership fee. A membership fee of $35/year would be high enough to discourage me (i'm currently poor) and many others. And a fee for advertising in the classifieds ONLY if it is wayyyyyyyy less than Kingsnake charges (please dont let fauna become another kingsnake).

There are varying degrees of commitment to fauna amongst its members, and we need all of them. We need the lifers and the casual passers-by, and everyone in between. I say, continue along the line you were going with the contribution/sponsorships, add more levels with increasing privileges granted accordingly. Or just with a different colored medallion over there on the left under our names - that's all I want

I think that now we know there's a money problem, those who are really committed to fauna and can afford it, will happily pitch in to save it. It makes the burden fall unevenly heavily on a few, but heck, at least the burden will be on a few instead of just one (Rich) !!!

Old 01-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
Tripple H Herps
Quote:
I think a solution along those lines would keep the BOI as it is intended to be and would allow the info/education/entertainment forums to remain open to the public as a service to the herp community. That way those who just wish to support this site and those who advertise in the classifieds and profit from this site will help foot the bill.
- I am going to have to agree with you on that.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
Amelia
I think the site should be free, except if you want to use the classifieds. Maybe if people pay for posting ads then they wouldn't be able to pull scams.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
makenna1103
Exactly what I have been saying...Thanks for making it so clear.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
cthulhu77
agreeing with the above three...pay to post classifieds, but a free BOI

Old 01-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #17
jlexotics
Some thoughts

I did vote I would not return if there was a membership. I've taken a few minutes to sit back and think. Without a doubt I would pay the membership fee. I believe this site would loose alot of people if this were to happen but the scams and such would stop (more so IMO). Then again I think you should make a free 30day period or something to that effect to get newbs into the site. they would have full access (maybe only a week for the classifieds or none at all). The BOI Is great but at the same time to me it's like politics which I dislike greatly. Some immuture people fighting over stupid things. Although it does have alot of good points. Some information I find to be non-sence. I've been going to some of them same herp shops for years. One deal goes bad (regardless of fault) and a person trys to slaughter someones business. Which in all honesty may effect a few but not near as many as one would think. I do find people in this industry to be cut throat. Someone says or does something wrong and it's all over the place. Why not try and solve things and as a last resort use fauna? I mean give people the chance to come clean and so on before you act. So many people want to jump the gun. I know people that completely ignore everything and anything they find on fauna. I do believe it's a great place and contribution to the herp world. Sorry to get a little off course but I thought I would tie it in.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
jlexotics
Your unable to edit so I thought I'd post this message as well. Basicly it comes down to this. Someone has to pay for this site in order for it to work. The person (webmaster) has taken alot of time and money (from his own pocket) to make this work. Now we (the community) have a choice. This choice is to keep this site running and aid (yes with your hard earned money) the webmaster to keep this going. Another option is to downsize and make this site much cheaper to run. which infact will still need funding. There it is plain and simple.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #19
jdany
Idea

Hows bout this:
$25/year for anyone who wants to contribute to the boards. (I assume reading would still be permitted for free)

I'd be willing (as an advertiser) to sponsor someone who wants to post an experience without paying a fee. Break it down to $1 per post.

Someone drops in, they're not a member, but had a good/bad experience with John Doe.

They submit a reply or start a thread..., their message gets posted with a "sponsored by" tag. I get billed $1. They're message gets voiced without paying a fee.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #20
nicolai
my opinion on this...

I am already a contributing member so I had already decided that this site was worth some of the money out of my pocket. It is an invaluable resource for information.
I agree with whoever said it would hurt the site to charge for the BOI and I also think that all the forums should be free as well just so people have free access to the info here,why would we want to hinder anybody that just wants to talk about and learn about reptiles. There are a lot of young people/out of work people/down and out people that really wouldnt have the money to come and use the BOI and the forums.
Charging a fee for the classified is definetely a good idea. whether it be a yearly fee for regulars or a "by ad" fee for people that use it once or twice a year to sell something.
I think that with a few more improvements and some good advertising this site could easily become the forefront for the selling and buying of reptiles. you would bring a lot of potential customer here to use the forums and you know they will flip through the classified while here and possibly make purchases.
Rich might even think about using the site as a escrow for people that arent sure about the sellers,meaning the buyers could pay thier money to a escrow account run by Rich and upon delivery of the animals he would release the money to the seller, this would put a end to a lot of the "not so good" guys out there ripping people off. Most buyers wouldn't find it necessary to do this with well known or reputable dealers but buyers are always leary of new dealers or dealers with a so-so reputation and both buyer and seller can be assured they wont be scammed.
Also once certain people that have a known "bad guy" reputation for ripping off people Rich can ban from selling here and buyers will feel safer making purchases here rather then elsewhere.
So in short....Keep the information FREE and have the people making money spend a little of it.

I hope that all made sense to everyone

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread