Vote***financing Fauna***vote - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #81
Radena
New members

I know that I would not have come to this site if there had
been a fee for looking.
I am rather new to the reptile world. Since joining. I come here
everyday. And have referred many people. Some have even bought
from your classifieds.
It is my opinion that if I was selling in the classifieds. I would want as
many people to view my ad as possible. And chargeing a fee for
membership just looking would limit the amount of potential buyers from
viewing the ad.

I guess if it comes down to it. And there is no other way.
then a fee for advertiseing would be the answer.
If the fee is reasonable. I do not know how this works.
What about a yearly advertiseing fee and/or a per ad fee.
That way for the ones that advertise all the time would get
a discount.
Just my two cents worth, probably worth about that much too.
Radena

Old 01-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #82
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radena
chargeing a fee for membership just looking would limit the amount of potential buyers from viewing the ad.
You would be able to look for free, you just couldn't post.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #83
Radena
Would you be able to respond to the person selling the item?
Radena

Old 01-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #84
shrap
Quote:
Radena
99% of the ads include the sellers email, so you should be able to contact the seller directly. No problem.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #85
DAND
Quote:
Radena
As long as the person placed their contact information in their ad.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #86
Inside Out
As I may stand on the wrong side of the fence here. I can see taking donanations. You donate great you don't donate lets hope you put out usefull info.

Up your advertising rates ask for donations. But, trust me I find just as much usefull info off the web for free.

What really amazes me is all the people taking charge of funding fauna.
Now if all these Ideas were comming from the owner I could understand.
Seems to me people are just trying to make a name for themselves.

Hey I know start a fauna lottery or maybe a 50/50 raffle. Hahaha

Have a Great Day

Grady Robinson

Old 01-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #87
snakegetters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Out
Up your advertising rates ask for donations. But, trust me I find just as much usefull info off the web for free.
That would be the average person's perception, I suspect, whether it was true or not.

I personally think that $10 is more than fair for what you get from Fauna, but to the average person who isn't a hardcore regular here, any amount of money is going to be an impossible barrier. There are too many free sites, and the casual user will simply go to one of them rather than pay anything at all.

Quote:
What really amazes me is all the people taking charge of funding fauna.Now if all these Ideas were comming from the owner I could understand.
Seems to me people are just trying to make a name for themselves.
Rich asked the membership to take some of their time and energy to help come up with a viable solution to keep Fauna alive. I really doubt that anyone here is complying with his request to "make a name for themselves". I think that most of us are here pitching in because we care about the board and want to help. I don't know why you're here, but evidently it's not for the same reason.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #88
WebSlave
Quote:
Radena
Yes. I can set permissions on any forum for any user group so that one or more of the following are enabled:
  • a viewer can create a new thread (ad)
  • a viewer can reply to ONLY their own thread
  • a viewer can reply to ONLY threads created by someone else

Just to be certain that the definitions of "viewer" are understood, a "viewer" can be one of the following:
  • Guest - This is someone just visiting this site and has not registered, or has registered but is not logged in. Generally this includes people who have registered but have not verified the registration completely by clicking on the email verification link that was sent to them when they registered.
  • Non-Paying Member - This is any member who has fully registered with the system and has chosen to not pay any membership fee offered.
  • Paying Member - This is a member who has paid at least the minimum level fee to be a paying member of this site. At this time this is simplistic, because there may be multiple levels of Paying Members, with escalating permissions enabled. So bear this in mind, please.

So in this case for the classified sections,
  • a guest (or unregistered) could read the ads but not reply to them nor create a thread (ad) themselves.
  • A non-paying member could read the thread (ads) and reply to them, but could not post a thread (ad).
  • A paying member could post a thread, reply to their own thread, and reply to other's threads.

In the case of the BOI it would be:
  • guests and unregistered viewers would not be able to view the BOI, nor post anything in it.
  • non-paying members would be able to view the BOI, but not able to post new threads nor replies to any of them.
  • paying members would be able to read the BOI and post both new threads and replies.

Other forums in the business related sections will likely have some variation of one of the above scenarios as well, but I just haven't taken the time to determine which ones will be affected.

The general discussion forums will be open to viewing by everyone, guests and members alike, but ONLY members, both paying and non-paying, will be able to post freely within them all. Generally, as a rule throughout this site, guests cannot post messages at all. The only places I have made an exception to this is in the HELP! and TESTING forums in the Admin section.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #89
nicolai
Quote:
What really amazes me is all the people taking charge of funding fauna.
Now if all these Ideas were comming from the owner I could understand.
Seems to me people are just trying to make a name for themselves
Grady Robinson
What really amazes me is that people post here without understanding what they are talking about. Rich asked the membership to come up with Ideas to figure out a way to fund fauna, I see a lot of the dedicated members doing just that trying to help out and come up with ideas.

Quote:
Hey I know start a fauna lottery or maybe a 50/50 raffle. Hahaha
I am glad you find this so funny, this is a serious matter, a lot of us have come to depend on this site for information concerning sales, businesses and animals. If something isnt done to bring more funds into fauna it may just go away, guess you can have a good laugh on that as well.

I hope that all the dedicated members to this site keep posting ideas and suggestions to come up with a plan for rich to better fund this site. The more members that post ideas the better the chance on finding a solution to the problem.

With a matter as serious as this (the possibility of fauna going under) you really should try to pitch in instead of casting stones. But i guess in your opinion I am just trying to make a name for myself.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #90
snakegetters
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
So in this case for the classified sections,
  • a guest (or unregistered) could read the ads but not reply to them nor create a thread (ad) themselves.
  • A non-paying member could read the thread (ads) and reply to them, but could not post a thread (ad).
  • A paying member could post a thread, reply to their own thread, and reply to other's threads.
That looks like a sound business model.

Quote:
In the case of the BOI it would be:
  • guests and unregistered viewers would not be able to view the BOI, nor post anything in it.
  • non-paying members would be able to view the BOI, but not able to post new threads nor replies to any of them.
  • paying members would be able to read the BOI and post both new threads and replies.
Rich, I'm sorry, but I believe that policy is going to cripple the BOI, significantly reducing its effectiveness to the community as well as its value as a draw to the Fauna site. I will do my best to support the site regardless, but I will be very sorry to see the results of this policy being implemented. I think it will basically kill the site.

Just how much money would make it possible for you to keep the BOI more open for the public to read and post in, in a similar model to what you are planning for the classifieds? Is it possible that the regulars who care about the site and don't want to see it torpedoed could collectively come up with the money?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread