eastern spadefoot toad tank mates - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
junglebird
eastern spadefoot toad tank mates

does anyone know any animals that can live with a eastern spadefoot toad in a paludarium

Old 09-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Herpin Man
Possibly other native toads, depending on size of toads, and size of enclosure. But, spadefoot toads prefer relatively dry environments, and paludariums, by definition, are wet environments.
My advice is that you think this through very carefully.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
junglebird
thank you for the info although I am pretty sure because these guys are from the south like Florida and Tennessee where it is a lot more moist so I was thinking either a slimy salamander or a southern toad but I have heard some bad things about them and cant find a lot of information on the web.

thank you again

Old 09-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
junglebird
although most spadefoots do live in drier habitats

Old 09-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
E.Shell
We have Eastern Spadefoot Toads here in central Maryland and the soil is generally sandy where I am. They are commonly encountered in wooded areas in damp, loose soil, but not wet. The only time I have seen them near low/wet areas or open water is spring breeding season when the temporary puddles in the low spots fill up with them.

The American Toad is also found in good numbers here, but I have never seen any near any Spadefoots. American Toads seem to prefer drier habitats to hunt and like to retreat into a relatively moist hide during the day. We usually have them under our splashblocks during the day and out hunting the drive, walks and grassy areas at night. They learn to patrol areas under the security lights to catch night-flying insects drawn to the light.

Summertime humidity here is above 75%, usually well above, and average temps run 75oF at night to 85-90 during the day.

Generally speaking, multi-species enclosures are not a good idea. Most often at least one of the animals is facing a compromised environment and/or will be stressed by the other animal. Captivity in and of itself can be very stressful and the additional stress of a threatening or competing animal can be the difference betweens success and failure. Setting up an enclosure that is closely tailored to one species' specific needs is usually considered the best approach. As said above, this should be carefully considered.

FWIW, I believe an American Toad will be a better specimen than a Spadefoot Toad. The American Toad will also be mainly nocturnal, but is significantly more active and personable, The ones I've had will gradually shift their hours over to be out late into morning and come out in early evening when they know the food is coming. Mine quickly learned to take food from tweezers and were never shy about eating a squirming bug or worm dropped in front of them. The Spadefoots I've kept have been total hiders, only coming out after dark to eat feeders left in the tank. I cannot recall ever actually seeing a Spadefoot eat, but the food disappears and they grow...

The best suggestion I could offer for a cohabitation would be a smaller diurnal lizard like an Eastern Fence Lizard, that is large enough not to be eaten and small enough not to be a threat. They would occupy different areas (terrestrial digger vs mainly arboreal climber) and use opposite time slots and possibly not interfere with each other.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:38 AM   #6
junglebird
Thanks for letting me know

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!