Sneak attack tropical storm - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 09-09-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
WebSlave
Sneak attack tropical storm

Well this sure snuck up on us! We have the center of a tropical storm that just blew up quickly and is passing right over us. Raining like hell (we got 1.75" on Wednesday) and the wind is whipping around like crazy. Hearing all kinds of branches being knocked out of the trees by the wind and bouncing on our brand new roof.

Glad this didn't spring up further south while fully over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico or we would likely be having a full blown hurricane suddenly looming over us.

Power is flickering, so I might get to bed early tonight if the power goes out.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
WebSlave
I see that that named that tropical storm that snuck up on us as "Mindy".

Power went out last night at 03:45am after giving me some warning flickers, and was out for 45 minutes. I was playing on the desk top computer, so while the UPS boxes were keeping everything running, I shut down the NAS boxes and pretty much everything else, figuring I might as well go to bed. The NAS systems get cranky if they don't get an orderly shutdown.

Didn't find any downed trees from the winds, but quite a few branches laying about. This morning I heard branches or something hitting the roof, but didn't see any wind. Turned out to be a squirrel up in a pine tree just trying to pluck at my nerves by dropping stuff onto the house roof, so I sent him on to the happy hunting grounds for his troubles with my Savage A17.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
JColt
I was at work and seen that. They showed a map and I said, Hey that's by Rich. Glad you made out OK.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:20 AM   #4
WebSlave
Yeah, the way this one blew up so quickly, it would have likely been a real bear of a storm had it started developing rotation further out in the Gulf. I check the Ventusky site fairly often, and I didn't see any hint of this coming.

Looks like we had one tree get snapped off at the top near the driveway, and another small berry tree that shattered at the base. Plenty of small branches laying around that will need to be picked up. When the power went out, I really thought that the dead pine tree next to the driveway had blown down across the power line that runs along our driveway.

I guess I am missing something, but wouldn't the power companies save OODLES of downtime and money if they just ran the lines underground instead of up in those poles? At least in areas with lots of trees, anyway.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I guess I am missing something, but wouldn't the power companies save OODLES of downtime and money if they just ran the lines underground instead of up in those poles? At least in areas with lots of trees, anyway.
Here is one power companies take on that. I am sure if unlimited tax payer monies were available they would consider it!

https://www.starenergypartners.com/b...s-underground/

Old 09-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Here is one power companies take on that. I am sure if unlimited tax payer monies were available they would consider it!

https://www.starenergypartners.com/b...s-underground/
Hmm, well, when I was living in Baltimore and worked for a company doing field service repairs to computer equipment, this very same discussion came up with one of the managers of the data center at Baltimore Gas & Electric, which was one of my accounts. He just smiled and said, "Who do you think are the biggest and most numerous stock holders in the companies that make those power poles? Nearly everyone working at the power company."

Old 09-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
JColt
Yeah, I can see that also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!