Questions for experienced retic breeders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Foschi Exotic Serpents
Questions for experienced retic breeders

I have no problems breeding BPs but I have never bred retics. I have a pair of SD retics that I have actually advertised and then pulled the add. I'm very up in the air about selling them because I really want just one clutch from them before I sell them so I can pick a baby to raise as a pet.

I put them together last fall on and off and never really noticed any action. They would lay together but I never saw any definite locks. I never need to cool my BPs or do anything special for them so I'd hoped the retics would be pretty much the same. If I keep these 2 another season, can someone tell me if there are any tricks or tips I should be following to help them along?

The male is approximately 6 years old and proven.
This will be females 5th winter and she has never been bred with the exception of my attempt last year.

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
FosterHerpetological
I have always heard that with retics, cooling down the male helps a lot. You don't have to cool both down though.

Many people think cooling down the male makes them fertile...

Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
reticguy76
cooling is (whether it be artificial or nature) is supposed to make the male more willing and able, and also help induce ovulation in the female.

each retic is different. i have had some that never needed cooling or photoperiod adjustments at all to get in the zone, and i have some that needed the whole she-bang to get them to cycle.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
pythonjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
cooling is (whether it be artificial or nature) is supposed to make the male more willing and able, and also help induce ovulation in the female.

each retic is different. i have had some that never needed cooling or photoperiod adjustments at all to get in the zone, and i have some that needed the whole she-bang to get them to cycle.
I have to agree with Ryan on this one. I have animals that need the perfect
conditions to even entertain the notion of courting. With that said, I have animals that will breed with no environmental change whatsoever

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!