Makes no sense - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
SPJ
Makes no sense

Something I heard on the radio got me thinking about this.
A woman can go and get an abortion. Perfectly legal since it is her body.
A woman cannot have sex and get paid for it even though, once again, it is her body. Have an abortion, go home and all is well. Have sex, go to jail.
Anyone else see how wrong this is?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
hhmoore
Not all "products" are legal to sell, regardless of "ownership".
Some services are illegal.
Does it make sense? I think those laws stem from a different age; but regardless of government enforcement of religious or moral biases, I suspect that, today, a sound argument could be made on the basis of threat to public health.

I was going to add a smart ass comment; but this is a topic that too easily offends (not necessarily you), so I'll keep it to myself.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
rcarichter
I'm a 48 year old mom of 3 boys. I am pro-choice, and have no problem if an adult wishes to employ another adult for sex, as long as it isn't my husband! Want does bother me is the advertisement of such services. I don't think people should have to raise their kids in an environment where you would encounter prostitutes on the way to the grocery store. It's the same as covering the front of Penthouse, it's just respectful to others. Also, it's almost impossible to separate prostitution from drugs, abuse, pimps, etc., and those things absolutely should be illegal. Most women who engage in prostitution are not simply trying to pay their electric bill and feed their kids.
My two cents.

Noelle

Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
FireStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Also, it's almost impossible to separate prostitution from drugs, abuse, pimps, etc., and those things absolutely should be illegal.

Noelle
Maybe if prostitution was legal, it would be easier to separate it from the other illegal activities (don't know, just speculating). I saw an interview (I can't remember what program it was on) with a group of prostitutes from Nevada (I think), and they certainly made a convincing argument for it being legal. Basically they said they were adults so they should be able to choose for themselves, and it is safer for them to work where it's legal (they don't need a pimp, because if there's a problem they can call the police and not worry about being arrested).

My personal feeling is that we spend alot of money arresting, prosecuting, and imprisoning people for stuff that isn't really harmful to others, and I'm not convinced that that is the best use of our tax dollars...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
My personal feeling is that we spend alot of money arresting, prosecuting, and imprisoning people for stuff that isn't really harmful to others, and I'm not convinced that that is the best use of our tax dollars...
I certainly agree with that. I have always been a fan of "if you don't like it, turn the channel". As long as it's conducted privately, between adults, who cares. It would be interesting to hear from one of our Nevada folks regarding how successful they are in keeping children out of the business. Not necessarily a pimp relationship, more like a 14 year old runaway.

Noelle

Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
It's all very strict in Nevada (as it should be)... well of course who knows what may go on 'under the table' (only allowed in some counties, not all of Nevada, and not in Las Vegas/Henderson). The brothels are licenced, the employees must register with the county sheriff (there-for, no underage) and they are required to get regular medical checks, I cannot remember if it's weekly or every 6 weeks?

Street walking is still illegal.

I think Amsterdam has a good system set up, for both legal prostitution and their drug laws. Prostitutes are required to have testing and must register (and they are trying to pass a law that the workers must be 21 or older). Hard drugs (manufactured drugs) are illegal but they offer treatment instead of incarceration for usage, if I remember what I was told correctly.

it was trip walking through the red light district! Different areas for specific 'tastes'. The women looked like robots in the window - sexy pose #1, hold, sexy pose #2, hold. lol Just a tip for anyone that goes - don't take photos!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!