Federal Bill to Control Snake Problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
EricWI
Federal Bill to Control Snake Problem

‎9 Florida lawmakers using demonstrably false claims of Burmese python expansion across the southern third of the continental U.S. in upcoming bids for re-election:

Federal Bill to Control Snake Problem in Florida
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/new...roblem-florida

Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
ScarletKing
Welcome to Florida...the land of political sleaze. Whatever will help get these bozos re-elected is fair game, however misleading.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Pmsayi
Florida law makers may be making false claims and proposing legislation but the Representative named in the article has not sponsored or co-sponsored any such legislation. Poorly written, researched, and a very one sided article. Here is a link for those interested in legislation sponsored by congressman Young:
http://young.house.gov/legislative-w...ed-legislation

Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
ScarletKing
Congressman Young is a right-wing douchebag; take a look at all the bills he's sponsoring or co-sponsoring - the only thing more one-sided than the article is congressman Young's political position.

Poorly written journalism from a magazine whose interest is whipping up emotions for its right-wing base? It was purposefully written at a level that most of the readers of the magazine would understand.

If you really want to understand the issue, just read the real articles by the scientists who have spent years researching the issue; a number of them who have lived in Florida for years, if not most of their life.

If you really want to

Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKing View Post
Congressman Young is a right-wing douchebag; take a look at all the bills he's sponsoring or co-sponsoring - the only thing more one-sided than the article is congressman Young's political position.

Poorly written journalism from a magazine whose interest is whipping up emotions for its right-wing base? It was purposefully written at a level that most of the readers of the magazine would understand.

If you really want to understand the issue, just read the real articles by the scientists who have spent years researching the issue; a number of them who have lived in Florida for years, if not most of their life.

If you really want to
You are gravely mistaken if you think I don't understand the issues surrounding legislation against reptile ownership and the use of misleading or fraudulent information by activists, politicians, special interest groups and so on, to pass legislation restricting or prohibiting reptile ownership. I am also very aware of the fact that the Burmese population that has established itself in Florida is unrelated to animals imported for the pet trade. DNA tests done on captured pythons has shown the animals surviving in Florida are from a different locale imported for zoos and scientific research from Vietnam.

That said, the congressman in question is not sponsoring or co- sponsoring any legislation of the sort at this time. The article itself is typical of so-called journalism today and intended for political gain of some sort. Additionally if you think politicians leaning right are any better or worse than those leaning left, center or otherwise then you are drinking the kool-aid.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
ScarletKing
Gulp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmsayi View Post
You are gravely mistaken if you think I don't understand the issues surrounding legislation against reptile ownership and the use of misleading or fraudulent information by activists, politicians, special interest groups and so on, to pass legislation restricting or prohibiting reptile ownership. I am also very aware of the fact that the Burmese population that has established itself in Florida is unrelated to animals imported for the pet trade. DNA tests done on captured pythons has shown the animals surviving in Florida are from a different locale imported for zoos and scientific research from Vietnam.

That said, the congressman in question is not sponsoring or co- sponsoring any legislation of the sort at this time. The article itself is typical of so-called journalism today and intended for political gain of some sort. Additionally if you think politicians leaning right are any better or worse than those leaning left, center or otherwise then you are drinking the kool-aid.
Really numbnuts? Come to Florida and live and then tell me that. Living in Tallahassee (progressive, liberal, great conservation...) or West Palm (elitist, conservative, an environmental nightmare). That's just two simple examples.
When you've conducted field work in every county in Florida over and over and see policies implemented based on political "leanings" as you say, then you can tell me about conservative vs. liberal politicians in Florida.

Most people with a brain realize that politicians are politicians, plain and simple. But there are some that stick to their beliefs, and it's obvious.

In any event, I think that's what I said initially - that politicians will use whatever is necessary to gain favor, so what's your point?

It looks like you've gulped down too much kool-aid.

Stick to issues in Virginia that you might know something about.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKing View Post
Really numbnuts? Come to Florida and live and then tell me that. Living in Tallahassee (progressive, liberal, great conservation...) or West Palm (elitist, conservative, an environmental nightmare). That's just two simple examples.
When you've conducted field work in every county in Florida over and over and see policies implemented based on political "leanings" as you say, then you can tell me about conservative vs. liberal politicians in Florida.

Most people with a brain realize that politicians are politicians, plain and simple. But there are some that stick to their beliefs, and it's obvious.

In any event, I think that's what I said initially - that politicians will use whatever is necessary to gain favor, so what's your point?

It looks like you've gulped down too much kool-aid.

Stick to issues in Virginia that you might know something about.

Well seeing as you live in Alabama not Florida I don't see where you have any better understanding than I do about the issues. If you would like I would be happy to forward some of the studies I have read on the issues surrounding invasive fauna in Florida and how much of it got there by well intending scientists. You seem to have the idea that I am in support of more restrictive government, I can assure you that is not the case. My point is the politician named in the article is not sponsoring any such litigation at this time claimed by the article in question. You are like so many others out their who are to stupid or lazy to bother researching who is voting for what. Had I not bothered to post the link you would have gone on believing what was fed to you by the article and would have had no idea what else Rep. Young was sponsoring and co-sponsoring.

Instead of attacking me why not spend your time writing letters to said politicians. I have written several to both house and senate representatives voicing my concerns about many an issue. If more people bothered to do this rather than whine in a chat room or to friends and family about how sleazy politicians are, maybe said politicians would change the way they do things and start voting for what is best for the country rather than their pockets. If not, at least you would have a real clue as how to vote in the next election.

Anyway, point simplified: Take the time to do your own research on policies, legislation, and so on. Don't be a sheep and believe what the AP (or anyone else) says or prints as they have political goals and will try to use those who will not or can not research the issues on their own to reach those goals.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
WebSlave
It looks like there is a ban in someone's future here.....
Cease with the derogatory name calling, please.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
ScarletKing
Talking Numbnuts#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmsayi View Post

Well seeing as you live in Alabama not Florida I don't see where you have any better understanding than I do about the issues. If you would like I would be happy to forward some of the studies I have read on the issues surrounding invasive fauna in Florida and how much of it got there by well intending scientists. You seem to have the idea that I am in support of more restrictive government, I can assure you that is not the case. My point is the politician named in the article is not sponsoring any such litigation at this time claimed by the article in question. You are like so many others out their who are to stupid or lazy to bother researching who is voting for what. Had I not bothered to post the link you would have gone on believing what was fed to you by the article and would have had no idea what else Rep. Young was sponsoring and co-sponsoring.

Instead of attacking me why not spend your time writing letters to said politicians. I have written several to both house and senate representatives voicing my concerns about many an issue. If more people bothered to do this rather than whine in a chat room or to friends and family about how sleazy politicians are, maybe said politicians would change the way they do things and start voting for what is best for the country rather than their pockets. If not, at least you would have a real clue as how to vote in the next election.

Anyway, point simplified: Take the time to do your own research on policies, legislation, and so on. Don't be a sheep and believe what the AP (or anyone else) says or prints as they have political goals and will try to use those who will not or can not research the issues on their own to reach those goals.
Do you know the individuals who wrote most of the so-called literature on pythons in Florida? Have you worked with them? Well, I do and I have. Can you say Ph.D.? I've read most of the legitimate literature regarding the issue, and I've done the "letter to your congressman" crap as well. Save it for someone else skippy. I've completed more research and worked on more issues in Florida than you can imagine - when you name new species to science, then come talk to me about making a difference.

And a quick geography lesson for you: I'm in Irvington, AL for a short period, which is about 40 miles from Florida...you might want to break out a map sometime.

As a botanist first, and a herpetologist second, and as somene who's spent the last 12 years working in every county in Florida, and I do mean every county, I've forgotten more about Florida than you'll ever understand. Hell, I was born in Virginia and I spent years in the Midwest - I probably know your "area" better than you.

Anyway, point simplified: when you get a Ph.D., actually understand the literature you're reading in relation to the culture in which it's placed, know something about Florida other than a visit to Disney, have actually met with representatives from Florida, and have lived in the capital city of Florida and keep track of not only social issues, but those involving the environment (which area more complex than you will ever have in Virginia), then you'll perhaps understand the real issues behind the pythons in Florida, which is just the latest and most publicized of the problems facing the state, then maybe you'll have a clue.

Looks like you're the one who's been sucking down what you read in the papers - don't pretend via literature that you understand an area of which you know little, or nothing.

The only shemming in this discussion is you. Keep writing those letters...they really make a difference in a state so politicized and polarized by such an ignorant population. Hey, you'd fit in well down here, but we don't need more people who think they know what's best for Florida and just add to the idiots who want to contribute...as I said before, stick to Virginia and help clean up that craphole called Washington D.C., seeing as how you're so politically inclined.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
ScarletKing
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
It looks like there is a ban in someone's future here.....
Cease with the derogatory name calling, please.
I have some bozo from Tallahassee telling me to quit with the name calling!

ATTENTION: If you ever want to witness self-rightous indignation from a whole cadre of people who think they understand environmental issues (more correctly referred to as conservation issues to the well-informed), go to some herp or native plant society meeting in town. Most of these folks would collapse after 15 minutes in the field, yet seem to know everything about the incredible land around them. Yawn.

Want a little whine with that cheese? You must be an FSU student who thinks they are the latest and greatest thing to hit town...ugg? I've seen them come, and I've seen them go - just like this site will.

Ban away asshole...sites like this are a dime a dozen. I rather enjoy being given the boot because it demonstrates the idiocy and self-importance forums such as this put upon themselves, and furthers the "internet baby" population who are too stupid and lazy to do any real reading or research that can't be found with the click of a mouse.

My life will be so empty now...what will I do?! Ohh, the humanity!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!