About the BOI and it's future here... - Page 26 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #251
WebSlave
Thank you for presenting arguments for why it would be a good idea for me to close down the BOI completely.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #252
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Thank you for presenting arguments for why it would be a good idea for me to close down the BOI completely.
Oh my goodness. My post was meant to present the argument that it is so very important for members to contribute, and what a great tool the BOI is for us all. I'm very sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #253
WebSlave
Yeah, whatever.... Honestly, I've been spending some time visiting other sites, and seeing a lot of advertisers that won't spend a dime here to help out. And I look at the number of members who used to be contributors who have decided that this site is not worth supporting financially any longer.

I have seen people set up their own forum sites and draw away substantial financial support from this site as a result. Heck, certainly they hoped that their own sites would be successful, and more power to them, but I guess there are unintended consequences involved that are now becoming apparent.

Over 60,000 registered members on this site and I'm not seeing any more then maybe 1,600 visit per day. No, I think I am accurately reading the writing on the wall. Far too many people are perfectly willing to allow me to take all the risk while they only come to the BOI when they need it for their own purposes without a concern in the world about helping it to survive.

Sorry, but all things considered, I am very discouraged by where we are right now.... I really hate the thought that I have wasted so much of my time and energy here when I could have instead spent it in better pursuits.

But it really is time for me to stop turning a blind eye towards what this industry really feels about the BOI......

Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #254
Twizted Paths
I realize that after all the backstabbing and bs you've been put through keeping the BOI open for us that hoping you're going to keep it open is pretty much like pissing in the wind.
As much as I'd like it to stay open on at least a pay to play basis I can also see how you might decide it's still to much trouble.
Will you consider the cd option? Is it feasible? Yea, I know I'm grasping at straws...

Old 12-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #255
cat snake
These kinds of situations are why my brother is an ex-lawyer. He had no stomach for many of the things that go on. In a sort-of reverse Midas touch, the law tends to poison everything it touches. No offense to you lawyer folks out there, it’s how the system is designed. Rich, I am sorry about the advertiser/member stats you shared. It is one thing to be the point man in fighting the Good Fight, but when you turn around and find that everyone you are defending won’t even guard your back (Fauna contributors excluded), it does make you wonder why you are bothering.

I am going to cut this story VERY short, but there was a tale of a peasant who stole the king’s horse, was caught and was then sentenced to death by the king. The peasant said, “Your Majesty, I would have brought your horse back in a year. I only took the horse to teach him how to speak so that you would be famous throughout the world for your talking horse.” The king suspected that the peasant was lying, but gave him a year to teach the horse to speak and if he failed, then he would be executed. The peasant’s friend said to him, “Are you crazy? You can’t make that horse talk!” To which the peasant replied, “If I had done nothing, I would be dead. Now I have a year and in that year’s time, I might die of natural causes, or the king might die, or the horse might die…or the horse might talk.”

That the advertisers have not supported you up to this point is rather despicable, but the individuals who frequent this site may be paying necessary bills first and seeing what is left over before they can put money to the BOI. Please wait until the end of the year to make your decision. I know we folks out here in cyberspace may be holding out faint hopes, but perhaps within the next 2 weeks this horse may talk…

Either way, thanks for all your efforts on behalf of us buyers who would not have known whom to trust if it were not for the BOI. Its demise would be a huge loss to herpers yet to discover the hobby.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #256
WebSlave
I may just have the BOI open for paid members. I believe they paid for that privilege.

But honestly, I will expect the BOI to gradually fade away from disuse, as almost happened when I first tried the paid requirement years ago. All the arguments at that time presumed I was interested in saving the BOI. They will not apply this time.

Hey, I've done all I can and want to do. I've been asking for help and that has fallen short of what I had hoped for.

As for the suggestion about the CD, I seriously doubt enough money would come from that to make it worth my efforts. Hell, most people aren't even willing to pay $25 right now to keep it alive. How many CD's would I have to sell to make it worth the development and reproducing time, effort, and costs? Seems to me I would just be pissing away even more of my time....

Old 12-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #257
AF Exotics
Long story short,cut to the chase,rubber meets the road,whatever catchy little sayings you want to use,I TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE BOI previously,and that's the truth .So are a lot of others that come here on a daily basis,SOME OF THEM QUITE VOCAL WITH THEIR MOUTHS,but not their wallets .Everyone talks about tight times,yes,very true,but I guarantee everyone has spent at least 25.00 on this hobby this year and probably a lot more .

Here's one for the ages, "Actions speak louder than words" .I think enough people use this site,and enough abuse this site .

Old 12-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #258
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus q View Post
Long story short,cut to the chase,rubber meets the road,whatever catchy little sayings you want to use,I TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE BOI previously,and that's the truth .So are a lot of others that come here on a daily basis,SOME OF THEM QUITE VOCAL WITH THEIR MOUTHS,but not their wallets .Everyone talks about tight times,yes,very true,but I guarantee everyone has spent at least 25.00 on this hobby this year and probably a lot more .

Here's one for the ages, "Actions speak louder than words" .I think enough people use this site,and enough abuse this site .
Yeah.... It's the abuse part that has taken it's toll. Odd, I was feeling pretty good about all this just a couple of days ago, but now I feel like the wind has just gone out of my sails.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #259
Slipmattic
Although i am not a contributing member, i think it should be only open to those that contribute. But then again if you look at web slaves point of view, it's alot of risk for him with barely any to no reward....

Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #260
leezard
I see arguments made that people contribute only when their own financial situation is stable. I'm sorry, but I'm throwing this out there for whomever to do with as they please.

When I first got wind from HHmore that the BOI was being shut down, I jumped on the band wagon. It has been VERY useful to me to help with my purchases and who to deal with -- or not. At the time I saw it, I was laid up with a broken leg and completely not able to work, so our own finances were pretty stiff. I showed the forum to my husband, and he didn't even think about it. Why?

Reptiles and their keeping are very important to me. Everyone has big hobbies that they spend money on, and this is definitely mine. To have a resource such as the BOI (or FC in its entirety, for that matter) simply disappear is, in my opinion, a huge loss to the community. There have been MANY hours and opinions that would be detrimental to lose, and starting new forums from scratch will take time again. For people to use and abuse this privilege is really too bad, since they really do not understand what goes into the upkeep of a project such as this one. Yes, we only contributed the minimum for a membership, but I feel NO regrets supporting this site, despite Rich seeing the numbers decrease so much. What I do regret is that many people don't "get it", and don't care to try.

If people really and truly regretted seeing the BOI disappear, something should have been done about it. It's a simple matter. It's funny how people are SO broke that they can't afford to help out a forum that they're dedicated to using, yet they can afford the new upcoming and latest "model" of ball python, or misting system, or entertainment unit or speakers for their car. Priorities, right? Obviously to many people, this isn't one of them.

Cut out a timmies a day for a month, and your membership is paid for.

Too bad, I think. I've rather enjoyed the use I've made on the forum, and the biggest regret I have is not helping sooner.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!