HAS ANYONE been reimbursed over a dead one? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
ColleenT
HAS ANYONE been reimbursed over a dead one?

with shippers, have any of you had a dead one arrive and complain, and get any money returned to you? i have not heard of anyone doing this except one guy on another forum. he is saying UPS is re-imbursing him.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
I won't come out and say that person is a liar because I suppose anything can happen, but I will say it's highly unlikely that they are reimbursing him due to the death of the animal in transit. There may be a little more there than is being told if reimbursement is being made.
I say this because none of the overnight shippers have any sort of live arrival guarantee what so ever. Only the airlines guarantee live arrival and even then it's often a fight to get them to pay if they ever do, there's several excuses and loopholes they use to shift the blame.

I specifically state in my terms that should an animal arrive dead that the buyer is to come to me directly and never take it up with the shipper. I would discourage anyone from bringing such a complaint to the shipping company since not only do they not have that guarantee, but it brings undue attention to our industry and if it is viewed as a potential liability our shipping abilities may be even further restricted.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
I would discourage anyone from bringing such a complaint to the shipping company since not only do they not have that guarantee, but it brings undue attention to our industry and if it is viewed as a potential liability our shipping abilities may be even further restricted.
I completely agree. If there are too many complaints and claims with the shipping companies over DOA's, it wouldn't take much for them to just discontinue allowing the shipping of live animals at all. NONE of the companies will guarantee live delivery. It is completely up to the seller's policy on refunding and/or replacing DOA's, so it's important to understand what their policies are before purchasing.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
hhmoore
About the only real "claim" that can be made, is that the package was not delivered on time. Reimbursement for shipping costs, or at least part of them, is a possibility...but depending on the company and the particular reps involved, even that request might be denied.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
ColleenT
well, i did not want to call him a liar, either, b/c it may be true, but i can't see how.

i am a certified Fedex shipper and i had to sign a waiver, and i know i could lose a lot of money if one dies in transit. but this person says he is showing UPS the receipt from PAYPAL and they are reimbursing him.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
ColleenT
ok here is his original post-

The UPS people in your area probably don't know what their policies are. My local ya-hoos tried to tell me they didn't ship animals and I had them call their higher-ups. Sure enough, they said they'd ship, but they're not responsible for loss or damage (unless they don't deliver on time).

My claim check for an animal they killed due to negligence a few weeks back is due to my door in 10 business days. They gave me value of the animal, plus shipping, minus some bogus 2 dollar charge they have built into their shipping fees that they don't really tell you about. They didn't want to refund the 3% fee from paypal that's standard on transactions, but after I yelled at the UPS rep this morning (which was the first time I've raised my voice or yelled at any of their incompetent personnel that have contacted me in the past few weeks) they agreed to pay it. It's pretty crazy that they didn't want to give me the last 2 to 9 dollars out of the value of shipping plus animal value when they are willing to give me the rest of the value (close to $300).

Oh, and I generally poke an airhole somehwere in the package... I don't like the idea of an airtight container. More holes during the summer time, usually just one in cooler temps. I don't ship in temps when heat packs or cold packs are required.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
hhmoore
from the UPS website

Quote:
Any package containing a live animal shall be considered a perishable commodity and will be accepted for transportation solely at the shipper’s risk for any damage or loss arising from the perishable nature of the item. UPS shall not be liable for any special, incidental, or consequential damages.
That seems pretty clear to me...but maybe he's a "special" case

Old 07-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
ColleenT
what gets me is, the forum i am on is defending HIM and not me. i'm the bad guy for doubting this. :rolleyes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!