Let's talk about handheld amatuer band radios - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
E.Shell
Let's talk about handheld amatuer band radios

I'm looking at hand held ham band radios as a form of backup commo. My cell phone is a bit 'iffy' out here in the sticks as it is, and the first sign of trouble, like tonight's/tomorrow's scheduled deracho, both phone and electric will become scarce.

I've got a couple CB radios, but their bulk and power consumption, coupled with the AM noise levels and limited range, make them ineffective in most circumstances, especially away from an AC power outlet or a vehicle.

I have a Yaesu VX-7R that is waterproof/submersible, very rugged and well accessorized, but it is now discontinued. My batteries are no longer holding a charge and, in perfect timing with the end of their service life, new batteries are very difficult to find anymore. I've just ordered a battery from a newly discovered source and I guess time will tell if/when I get it.

Meantime, I need a companion unit for the Yaesu if I DO find a battery for it, and a pair of like units if I don't.

I'll want it to be weather resistant/waterproof, with multiple charging options and a voice activation option would be nice.

I was looking at new radios and Icom gets a lot of good comments. Anyone have any experience with these radios or similar units?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
It's been a few years since I've been active with AR, but I've used both mobile and handheld Icom radios. I've never had a complaint with them, they've always worked flawlessly.

KC8RFP

Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
E.Shell
Thanks John. I appreciate your comments. I have electronics experience in process controls, radar and broadcast electronics, but never went too deeply into AR. One of the local guys is giving a licensing workshop and I'm going to apply for my entry level license, but I look at it more for emergency use than as a hobby.

Meantime, I spend a lot of time 5-15 miles from home and would like to find a way to stay in touch with the homestead if we lose power/phones, so I want to start setting up secondary commo that isn't tied to a truck battery or AC outlet.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Metachrosis
We use a few different units from Vertex Standard*(Everge)
Depending on your purchasing ability the newer offerings are update-able etc
and work very well.
Digital UHF/VHF has evolved

Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
E.Shell
Thanks for your replies guys! I'm probably going to snag an Icom.

FWIW, took the Technician exam this morning over at Earlysville, VA and passed. They offered me the General class exam and I passed that as well. Told me my name & license call sign will appear on the FCC website in about ten days and that I'll get my paper ticket in the mail in a few weeks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!