Burmese pythons in Florida: A synthesis of biology, impacts, and management tools - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:47 PM   #1
Martin Nowak
Burmese pythons in Florida: A synthesis of biology, impacts, and management tools

Definitive paper on Burmese Pythons in the Everglades. Published 1/10/2023

In my opinion this paper is fair and balanced. It does not castigate the pet trade industry nor the reptile keepers. Both are certainly mentioned.

Unlike the book "Exotic Amphibians and Reptiles" which is also a recent publication. I suspect both will be used by state Game and Fish Commissions and will be cited in new rules, regulations, and statutes. Not many people have looked at my post about the book - in FC "General Herp Talk" on 2/15/2023. I urge anyone in the reptile industry to obtain the book (about $55) and understand how the authors view the reptile keepers. As noted, in my opinion the book at minimum misses many opportunities and actually blames reptile keepers while glossing over intentional exotic releases by authorities, universities, sociologists, and political entities.

Link to the Burmese Pythons in Everglades paper:

https://www.usgs.gov/publications/bu...nagement-tools

Old 03-11-2023, 09:21 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Interesting paper, and incredibly comprehensive.

It states that evidence -- population surveys, morphological similarity, and genetic tests of serpentovirus the snakes carry -- points to there having been only two incidents of escaped pythons that the invasive population is descended from. That's hardly the wholesale indictment of herpetoculturists that is typical.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
Martin Nowak
Some have indicated difficulty linking to the article. Try this link:
https://neobiota.pensoft.net/article/90439/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!