? Is this recessive? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
LeoGeoKing
Question ? Is this recessive?

Is this Tail Kink gonna be recessive? I own his parent and neither of them have this kink,and none of their other offspring has had a kink.Why have I seen this mostly in Patternless?Do you think he will be able to breed successfully?
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
E2MacPets
I have heard different views on the subject... some people say it's passed on to offspring while others feel it is completely removed after one outcross...

Regardless, on your particular example, it appears the tail is quite stubby to begin with, on top of the kink. I would strongly suggest that this gecko live the life of a spoiled rotten pet (as it appears it has with that fat tail!) and not a breeder.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:01 PM   #3
LeoGeoKing
Thanks for your reply.

I dont understand why you say he should stay a spoiled pet.I would like to breed him is there no possible way for me too.What do you mean by stubby tail?
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
E2MacPets
What I mean by stubby is that your gecko has a significantly shorter than normal tail.

While geckos with defects like this can physically breed (or attempt to at least), it is not ethical to breed them. It is not a desireable trait, and there is no way of telling if there are internal defects that are linked to it as well.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
LeoGeoKing
Thank you for your help.

I think he isn't capable of breeding anyway. I was just curious of other peoples thoughts.He is from my first clutch of eggs I ever hatched that were incubated kinda high and I thought that was what caused it.I decided to keep one from my first clutch and I wouldn't sell him since he had a defect anywayz,but I still love him and he makes a great pet.

Do you have any Leos,
WaxWormFan?

Old 07-25-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
royalgoldreps
That is an odd deformity that you have there. I have never seen anything like it. It is quite possible that that particular deformity came from the incubation process. The only way to prove it out would be to do breeding and only YOU can make up your mind if you would like to do that or not.

I am not sure exactly what ethics has to do with it. Think about it. If people decided that Kinked Tail was the neatest thing since sliced bread you would see the market flooded with them. Who is to say that Tangerines or even Albinos (and this one is not too far from being possible) don't have genetic things going on that harm the animals that we are not aware of. But since they are desirable traits that aspect is ignored. Nothing personal, Mr E2 (heh, I know who you are!! ), but it has more to do with perceptions than anything else. No definitive studies have been done. Market drives this one, not anything else.

Steven Feil
Royal Gold Reptiles

Old 04-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
DiabloBoa
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i think ive seen something like this before but im not sure if it was born that way or not and it ended up producing normals,by normals i mean not deformed, the leo was a female hypo

Old 04-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
DiabloBoa
oh ya but i would still be weary of breeding it in case it was genetic shoot if its recessive then you wouldnt know from the babies but theyd still carry this kink gene if it is a gene

Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 AM   #9
SableLynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalgoldreps
I am not sure exactly what ethics has to do with it. Think about it. If people decided that Kinked Tail was the neatest thing since sliced bread you would see the market flooded with them. Who is to say that Tangerines or even Albinos (and this one is not too far from being possible) don't have genetic things going on that harm the animals that we are not aware of. But since they are desirable traits that aspect is ignored. Nothing personal, Mr E2 (heh, I know who you are!! ), but it has more to do with perceptions than anything else. No definitive studies have been done. Market drives this one, not anything else.

Steven Feil
Royal Gold Reptiles
Sorry I have to disagree. Back when i was a teenager.( And I won't say exactly when that was )People thought that Dobermans should have a narrow scull. This was the trait that started winning best of breed in the ring. A short while later there were several incidents of bad bites by Dobies. ( A bad bite refering to an unprovoked bite, or a bite that was out of character for the specific animal.) It took a few years but they dicovered that the narrow skull did not allow for normal expansion of the celebreum(sp?) when the dog became exited. this caused intense pain to the dog and caused them to react by biting.

So whats that got to do with anything? Just an example of how breeding for any particular trait needs to be carefully monitored and attention pain to health or behavioral changes that are outside the norm for the species.

I see most of the breeders here at Fauna doing exactly that and they are careful to outcross as necessary to maintain the health and wellness of the species as a whole.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:14 AM   #10
SableLynx
Sorry for the typos. Skull is spelled with a k not a c. and it should read attention paid not attention pain. I can spell ok I just can't type well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!