what do you do if your "100%" hets aren't? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
Casey Hulse
Yesterday I had a thrill. My 9 ft 100% "het" that I purchased last year as an adult and bred with a VERIFIED microchip implanted (by Pete Kahl) 100% het male, gave birth to 41 BIG FAT 100% normal looking baby columbians. Not an albino in the bunch. Talk about a major dissapointment.
I did not even buy the "het" from Jesse Underhill. As a matter of fact, the person I bought it from hasn't dissapeared at all , they are still posting on Kingsnake. What would everyone do in the same situation?
Thanks,

Casey

Old 05-30-2002, 02:45 AM   #2
HallsHerps
hmm easy pick up the phone and well ... the rest goes like this ... hiya there im so n so .. i bought a 100%het from you that i think you must have mistakenly sold me a "poss" het inturn? as ( tell them bout the 100% male breeder PK snake)
then offer to send proof of her gravid and her babies .... then i would inturn  possibly looking for $$ restitution on the difference or something done to make me happy as i would have been wrongly represented  being sold a 100% het ( albino i presume and if it was adult i presume it wasnt exactly cheap?i would approach it as calm untill given the reason to hafta take it up a level if it is that big of a deal to you that you ay have invested in a snake you thought to breed and produce albinos , and was the sole reason for buying it ... but i would no matter the deal make this known ..
just thoughts at almost 3 am ..... g night

Old 05-30-2002, 08:29 AM   #3
Casey Hulse
That is pretty much what I figured I would do. This person must not answer his e-mails very often... 2 days and counting.. Thanx!

Old 05-30-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
bpc
Casey, Bad News for ya.  It is entirely possible for a het to het breeding not to produce ANY double recessive offspring.  Now according to the statistics you should have had 25% of the litter born albino (about ten snakes).  But remember these are only statistics.  It really comes down to which sperm swam the fastest to which egg.  It may be that you have two true hets but produced no recessive offspring.  Basically every baby coming down the shoot had a one in four chance of being albino, just like everytime you throw a die it has a one in six chance of landing on 6.  So really you don't have much of a leg to stand on.  That's the bad part about buying hets.

Another thing, are you sure they were het for the same strain of albinism?

Old 05-30-2002, 03:28 PM   #5
Darin Chappell
I have to agree with the above post.  You certainly will want to contact the person from whom you made your purchase so that he/she will be aware of your concerns.  However, you really need to have another successful breeding (or two) with nothing but normals as the outcome before you could say that you had more solid evidence (even this isn't absolute -- it COULD be really bad luck).  

You might want to breed her to an animal that is homozygous for the trait that she is supposed to be het for.  That would up the percentages in your favor and solidify your case when asking for a refund.

Just a thought

Old 05-31-2002, 12:40 AM   #6
franklinedwards60
I have to agree with Brain. Now if you were to breed her to an Albino and get all normals then that would be a differnt story. Frank

Old 05-31-2002, 07:16 PM   #7
bpc
Yes, het to double recessive increases your odds to 50%.  It would still be possible to get all the normal phenotype, but much less likely.

Old 06-03-2002, 12:34 AM   #8
Classic Dum's
I agree with what some of the others have said I would contact the guy but not get to wound up over it, it is very possible for 100% hets not to produce, I know Brian Sharp had some 100% albino ball pythons hets he produce himself and two years in a row got all normals from his own hets, so best of luck..........

Old 06-03-2002, 02:07 PM   #9
Steve M.
the above post's are correct I breed my 100% hets for the first time this year and out of 24 babies I only got 2 albinos not exactly 25% I bought them from peter kahl and called to ask some questions and pete told exactly whats posted above, genetics are a bit of a gamble

Old 06-03-2002, 08:34 PM   #10
HerpVenue
Casey...
If you do have two 100% hets for albino.....

Man I am not taking you to vegas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!