Punctuation, Grammar Nazis, and Common Sense - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
JudyC
You can't see how clean my house is...or how cluttered and dusty it might be. You can't see how happy and well adjusted my children are...or how neurotic they might be. You can't see how stylish and well groomed I am...or how frumpy I might be.

All you see are the words I type in a little window. My ADVICE to anyone who chooses to read them is to remember that, and to give a little thought into how these little typed words represent you.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
radera5
And I agree with your logic 100%. That wasn't my point.

The thread wasn't about this though. I was ready to comment on what he actually had to say and move on. I don't care or feel the need to remind someone that they might be taken more seriously if the use proper grammer. I just feel that doesn't need to be brought up in the middle of a thread I guess.

It is nice of you to help people though.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
You can't see how clean my house is...or how cluttered and dusty it might be. You can't see how happy and well adjusted my children are...or how neurotic they might be. You can't see how stylish and well groomed I am...or how frumpy I might be.

All you see are the words I type in a little window. My ADVICE to anyone who chooses to read them is to remember that, and to give a little thought into how these little typed words represent you.
Exactly, the only thing we have to represent ourselves are the posts we make.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
JudyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by radera5 View Post
And I agree with your logic 100%. That wasn't my point.

The thread wasn't about this though. I was ready to comment on what he actually had to say and move on. I don't care or feel the need to remind someone that they might be taken more seriously if the use proper grammer. I just feel that doesn't need to be brought up in the middle of a thread I guess.

It is nice of you to help people though.
And it's very nice of you to be willing to read what he'd typed. I mean that sincerely.

Now, he's using punctuation and his posts are 100% more readable...so a lot more people will be following what he says now. And whether one agrees with him or not, I think that's a good thing.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
radera5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
And it's very nice of you to be willing to read what he'd typed. I mean that sincerely.

Now, he's using punctuation and his posts are 100% more readable...so a lot more people will be following what he says now. And whether one agrees with him or not, I think that's a good thing.
I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing

I think somethings up there. I was going to call it out but someone beat me to it. WOW

Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
I guess that I am guilty of "elitism." I won't interpet anyone's words, and I do have this habit of skipping any posts are aren't easily readable.

I didn't read the posts in question I just saw a big block of words. lol

Old 11-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
I guess that I am guilty of "elitism." I won't interpet anyone's words, and I do have this habit of skipping any posts are aren't easily readable.

I didn't read the posts in question I just saw a big block of words. lol
This is what I saw, too. While I could interpret what I thought (plug-in any hypothetical poster here that uses little/no punctuation) was trying to say, who's to say that I'm interpreting what he/she actually meant??

Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
hhmoore
Quote:
who's to say that I'm interpreting what he/she actually meant??
Exactly...I've seen too many cases of incorrect interpretations, and most of those didn't even have a bunch of smart phone autocorrects added to the mix.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
This is what I saw, too. While I could interpret what I thought (plug-in any hypothetical poster here that uses little/no punctuation) was trying to say, who's to say that I'm interpreting what he/she actually meant??

Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
~Just Curious~
I'm not familiar with the BOI thread in question, but I agree on the subject as a whole.

If I see 'the great wall of text', I'm just going to skim it. If the point isn't being made clearly enough for me to find and I have to start analyzing everything to get the gist of it, I'm going to be frustrated and probably not think very highly of that person. Then every post they make after that is going to get less and less effort on my part when it comes to "translating", until it reaches the point where I just flat-out skip over any further comments they make to save myself the trouble.

I know I stink at grammar, it's pretty obvious. I'm not going to nitpick most things. When it starts turning illegible though, then it rubs me the wrong way.
What Judy says about how people perceive you is true - at least for me. If I have nothing else to go on and I see someone typing like that, especially if it's a rant (as most are) then I'm going to feel they're unprofessional. I know it's petty, but humans label.

Still... I also think that if you want to point out grammar flaws to other people, then it may be best to do so in a PM so it doesn't muddle up the thread. *shrug* Again - I don't know what thread in paticular it's about, but I feel that could apply to most.
Just my two cents~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!