Help! This is not good! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
gothra
Exclamation Help! This is not good!

My girl that I had been talking about on the thread on "winter mode" is still not eating (3 weeks now), although her weight remains the same as last week's (64g), but her tail is beginning to shivel up. The reason I'm so worried about her is that she is Nana, the one that had gone through follicular stasis back in May. The vet also commented on signs of fatty liver back then.

I took her to the vet last month for check ups and she seemed to have fully recovered; however, I do feel that her health is somehow compromised. Now, if her weight remains the same but tail starting to shivel up, does that mean her fat storage is moving to her liver again?! If this is the case, shall I move her to a warmer place and start feeding her the wonderful 'Marcia's-slurry'?

I'm sorry if the english is sh*tty here, I'm feeling really down at the moment...Oh, she had her fecal done last week, its clean.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Bonnie, I'm sorry that Nana is having problems. I was hoping that she would be carefree after the surgery.

IF the vet noticed signs of fatty liver and her tail fat is starting to mobilize, I would start to try the slurry. The process of using fat stores is very hard on the liver. It would be much easier for her to filter and digest the slurry. I'm sure it is just a winter slow down but in Nana's case I think it would be better for her to be eating. I would make sure to keep a hot spot around 92. Depending on her temps now you may want to raise it gradually. A few degrees every other day. Good luck with her and please keep us updated.

Also Bonnie, your English is better than most people who speak it as their first language, so no need for apologies.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
Bonnie, if her fat reserves in her tail are becoming mobilized (especially at a rapid rate) it means that there is a problem with her metabolism. If you have tried a variety of foods and increased the temperatures in her habitat with no success, then I would say it is time to start dropper feeding her the slurry.

Keep in mind that not all parasitic infections show up with routine fecal tests... the parasites must be shedding in order to see them. Also, bacterial infections won't show up at all in a fecal exam, and must be grown in a petri dish in an incubator in order to see them. If this is the case, then a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Baytril will usually clear it up if caught early enough.

Please keep us posted on Nana's condition, and know we are all here for you when you are worried like this.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
dragonflame
Marcia, could you maybe post the slurry recipe for me? I may need it. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
gothra
Thanks for the replies. I moved her to a smaller and warmer tank last night, and am so glad that she is still alive this morning; her tail deflated so quickly that really is scarring the crap out of me. She pooped out something dark green last night, I'm guessing its bile because she hasn't been eating. I'll buy the ingredients for the slurry today, when she produces another fecal sample, I'll take that to the vet for further analysis. Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Jeremy Letkey
Bonnie, if the green poop smells more than normal it could be a bacterial infection. I would definitely get another fecal and as Marcia mentioned you should also get a culture done to test for the infection.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Marcia, could you maybe post the slurry recipe for me? I may need it. Thanks!
You got it!

In a blender, combine:
1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
1/4-1/3 cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1 jar baby food squash
1/4-1/3 cup Pedialite
2 tablets or contents of 2 capsules milk thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores.)
1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamin powder
1 large handful of mealworms, added slowly while mixture is blending

Puree all ingredients until completely smooth, and pour into ice cube tray(s) and freeze. Store cubes in zip-lock bag in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw out 1 cube at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days. I use the empty baby food jar for this purpose, washing it thoroughly after each batch.

(Lately, I have been adding about 1 tsp. T-Rex Gargoyle MRP to each new thawed out cube).

Using this mixture, draw a full dropper (eye dropper type) and place a drop on the gecko's nose. It will lick it off, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time. Most geckos love this food, and will lap it up.

***NOTE: Do NOT tell anyone in your household that you put mealworms in the blender!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
gothra
The green poo doesn't smell at all, just very dark green. But I'll surely get a culture done later when I get a fresh sample.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #9
dragonflame
Thank you Marcia!

Old 12-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
gothra
I fed Nana around 1.3ml of the slurry this afternoon, and a few hours later she regurgitated approximately 1/3 of what she has eaten. I'll rush her to the vet tomorrow morning, hope they can squeeze me in.

Now, I can only hope that the regurgitation is due to over feeding after a long fast, rather than something very serious.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!