Uneaten bugs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
gothra
Uneaten bugs

Just curious, how does everyone "treat" the leftover bugs? I'll start:

Mealworms - if escaped from food bowl, I'll throw them out. If they remained in the food bowl, I'll recycle them to the mealworm bin.
Supers and crickets - cut off their heads with cuticle scissors before putting them in the rubbish bin.
Silkworms - toss them in the rubbish bin without killing, as cutting them in halves seem very messy; they can't live long anyway after dusting.

I'll have some roaches ready to feed off in a month or so, I think I'll also cut them in halves before throwing them out. So, how do you do it?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
SirKevin
I can feed a lot of things to my tiger salamander, who is right now incredibly obese. I can't feed him for like 4 days to a week after he has a large silkie, which is a problem because I have about six or seven right now that are medium large...

Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
The NY Gecko
I usually only have 3 or 4 crickets left so they stay in the cage.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
A_Kendergirl
So long as the gecko in question is out of quarentine, I "re-use" the bugs.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
I do not re feed any bug, if a mealie gets out its gone, crickets are allowed to live for an hour after being fed, then they are shop vac'd out. Call me paranoid but I don't want eat sloppy seconds so I don't expect my critters to either.

Even with non escaped mealies or supers, every other day, even with gutload in the dish and supplements and a slice of fruit, the worms, gutload etc are all thrown out and a new clean dish is put it.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
KelliH
I throw them out.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
gothra
Oh! Wrong direction! I'm actually after the process before you throw them out. e.g. leftover cricket - do you squash it? drown it? To me, cutting their heads off with scissors seems more convenient...etc. And are there different treatments to different insect types?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
Oh! Wrong direction! I'm actually after the process before you throw them out. e.g. leftover cricket - do you squash it? drown it? To me, cutting their heads off with scissors seems more convenient...etc. And are there different treatments to different insect types?
Ok, I see. Well, generally I just throw them in the trashcan. I guess if you are worried about them climbing out you can flush them down the toilet.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
Gregg M
Or you can just let them go outside....

Old 04-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
groovygeckos
Just dont let any silk or hornworms outside. LOL

The crickets I just squish when I use them, the others just go in the trash. Never really worried about the mealies going to the city dump, im sure they have a blast there

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!