Ginormous rack! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Nagini
Ginormous rack!

Well I had an idea in my head, and I finally finished it lol
3 sheets of melomine, cut into 2x4 shelves (one broke XD) Its huge, taller then I am but its FINALLy done. I'm going to be so sore tomorrow ><

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
You might want to think about adding a couple of vertical uprights to the back at least. At 4 feet wide, the unsupported shelves will sag over time and the tubs will start binding.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Nagini
Yeah, I'm going to add 2 more in the back when I put in heat, but I'm to tired to do it at the moment >< lol melomine is heavy

Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
Melamine is indeed seriously heavy. Wheels might be another thought for a rack that size
I'd hate to have to move something that took 3 sheets of melamine to put together haha.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
Nagini
lol thats what happened to the other shelves...had wheels on it. The wheels broke through and the screws bent, and the melomine splintered....oops?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
I had that happen once myself. The wheels would have to be attached to the ends of the 2x4s or to a 2x4 frame bolted between the legs. The melamine can't support that huge weight on just the screws in the sides of the bottom shelf.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Nagini
yeah, I may do that eventually, but the wheels would have to be able to hold up like 600 lbs ><

Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Chris_Harper2
I built a rack with the same design but smaller many years ago. It is still in use today. The one problem I had with it was that as the 2x4's dried out they shrunk a bit and the boxes seized. I had to take it apart and reassemble and it's been stable ever since. I probably would not build another one like that, but if I did I would dry out the 2x4's and use pocket screws in the shelves.

Post a picture when it's complete and full. And don't call me if you need help moving it, LOL. Seriously though, I don't worry about rack weight that much anymore as it's so rare that I move them.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Nagini
lmao yeah moving it was horrible XD I really need to find a way to attatch wheels. I think I figured out a way but my arms still feel like they're going to fall off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!