feeding issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Elfmaze
feeding issues

OK so i'm having problems with my ball. I've had him for four years and hes never had a problem feeding. Since october i've been trying to feed him and he is just not interested. He doesn't even see it as a rat alive or dead. he will waltz up to a live rat and just look at it. i have to hold the rat back so it doesn't bite him. Is it possible hes just gotten retarded in his age. he had been missing with his strikes more and i think me feeding him dead prey and dancing them around in front of him has made him lazy? I'm really getting sick of tossing out rats every week and hes starting to loose weight....

Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Ball Pythons, particularly around this time of year, are pretty well known for fasting. Are you sure it is losing weight? Or perhaps a little over worry going on? Just asking cuz I've had BP's fast on me for 9 months, and barely lost weight.

Though not very common, if you have fed it live prey, there is a chance it may have taken an internal parasite as well. A fecal exam would show that, and if it is, may explain weight loss. Easily cured with meds.

Anyway, probably just a seasonal fast would be my first guess. I would stick to the F/T if it has taken them before. Rat's can inflict serious harm. even if your holding it back, once the snake takes it, rats can bite pretty deep.

Have you tried warming the F/T rat to about 90°? A warmer than room temp item sometimes will help trigger a response. Check the temp of the rat to make sure it's not too hot.

Good luck
Rick

Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Elfmaze
i'll usually thaw them out in hot water. then i'll "dance" the rat around in front of the snake. He usually takes it. can the seasonal thing be only after maturity? he is about four now. But they can't see the outside light patterns and the temp is kept up in there room. i guess i need to get a scale and start taking readings on all my snakes.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
You said "they" and "their room". Is there a female? It's also that time of year too.

Just a guess.
Rick

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Elfmaze
Two of them live together, usually seperated only to eat. male is 4 and hes the retarded one. the female is about a year and a half and is always been a great feeder besides when she is in a shed.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
BTW, scales are always good. They show dehydration quicker than you will notice since water weighs a lot. Good for other reasons too though.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze
Two of them live together, usually seperated only to eat. male is 4 and hes the retarded one. the female is about a year and a half and is always been a great feeder besides when she is in a shed.
Really bad idea to house them together. Especially since different sexes, and only one is mature. Can't say that contributes to the fast, but It's not a good idea anyone here will tell you.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
garweft
It sounds like your male has more than food on his mind. BP's will often refuse food when they are in a lovin' way. I would seperate him to a different enclosure in a different room, far from the female. After a while he should go out of breeding mode and start to feed again. You should only put them together when you plan to breed them. Depending on how big she is, breeding her now will either not work, or will be very risky. Young females that are barely past breeding size have a greater risk of egg binding and dangerous weight loss.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
Elfmaze
Shes a real small ball for her age, porbably not more than 300 grams. i don't think she is even near big enough to breed

Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze
Shes a real small ball for her age, porbably not more than 300 grams. i don't think she is even near big enough to breed

Seperating them is highly recommended. Two animals living together can stress one another out and cause them to not eat. This could be why.

Proper enclosures should be purchased for each animal you own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!